Maryville, MO
Northwest Missouri State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northwest Missouri State University

Chase

I love all of my classmates here at Northwest. Because of the fairly small size here, it seems like we are all a family. Everyone was so friendly to me when I first arrived here in August. I will admit that I was homesick at first, but the friends that I have made here understood that, and they helped me through that. I have made some of the best friends that a guy could ever ask for.

There is so much that comes to mind when I think of this question. It seems like we were so naive as seniors in high school. I would tell myself to really inforce good study habits. That is so important when you get to college. Don't cram, because I have already found out that studying the week before, little by little, every night helped me a lot more. You also have to be very self motivated. In high school I was given a lot of slack, and I could hand in late assignments almost all the time. This isn't the case in college. You get the syllabus on the first day of class, and you better have the assignment done on the day it is due, or you will be given a zero for the most part. I think that is a good thing though. It helps you with responsibity. But most of all, I would just tell him to enjoy his senior year, and don't take anything for granted.

If you are concerned about your professors caring about you, knowing your name, and hopin you do well, this would be the school for you. All of my teachers have gone out of their way to help me and/or other students. It is just an amazing feeling. I like the fact that we aren't a huge school. A smaller school is definitely for me, possibly because I am from a small rural town to begin with.

Nathan

The best school experience Icould of ever imagined.

The best school experience Icould of ever imagined.

Go to the school I am at now. It will be the best decision you make, it is a great campus, great people, great professors. You will be so happy.

There is nothing really that is too frustrating, it is a great campus. The roads away from campus have pot holes that the town is constantly trying to fix, they are kind of a pain.

Sheldon

NWMSU is located in a larger rural town. All the town resisdents support the university and the athletics very well. The university's atheltic teams are always in the top of the best in Division II sports. In fact, the football team has made it to the last five national championship games and last year, 2009, they won it. NWMSU is within two and half hours from Omaha, Nebraska, two hours from Kansas City, Missouri, and forty-five minutes from St. Joseph, Missouri. This is good because there are big attractions within a short drive.

Don't take things for granted. Make sure you stay true to who you are and how far you have come. Don't get caught up in all the drama and try to avoid potentially bad situations. It will be worth it if you do. Enjoy your last year in high school and being the center of attention in school., but don't allow yourself to become stuck up and cocky. Be friends with everyone you can. The year will go by fast and it will all be over. There is no do-over. What happens is what you'll have to live with the rest of your life so be smart and think before doing and saying. Love life! It?s the only one you'll have.

The best thing about my school is that there is so much support from the whole town and community around Maryville. The town sort of "shuts down" during football games and other athletic events because most residents attend them. The community gets along with all of the students and enjoys them being at Northwest and in Maryville.

Northwest is an ideal perfect little community :) .

Northwest is an ideal perfect little community :) .

Think about what you want out of a life long career! I wish someone would have told me that as a high school student. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would drill those exact words into my little naive head. I thought I had plenty of time to figure out career options because a career was so far away into my future. I must have believed I would wake up one morning with everything magically figured out. Unfortunately, this was not the case for me. I spent my freshman year of college picking classes with no clue of what type of major I was working towards. I used all of the career guidance tools, surveys, and quizzes supplied by Northwest to get me started. Yes, as a sophomore I do have my major figured out...finally! Waiting to make my final decision caused me to spend more money and time on classes not related to my major. On the brighter side, at least I gained a broader knowledge in various subjects and had fun along the way!

In high school I had a brain full of ideas. My idea of what I wanted to be when I "grow up" typically changed day-by-day. Looking back, I wish I would have looked deeper into career options before I came to Northwest, instead of thinking I would wake up one morning and have it all magically figured out. Waiting to make my final decision caused me to spend more money and time on classes not related to my major. On the brighter side, at least I gained a wider general knowledge and had fun along the way!

James

Northwest has a small town feel that is comforting to those that attended smaller highschools where teachers knew your name and you were more then just a number as in some of the bigger school.

My classmates here at Northwest are a little bit of evertything, from the farm boy to the city girl with quite a few foreign exchange students thrown in the mix.

Always be on the look out for a direction in life, its never too soon to start thinking about it. Dont put it off because you are only a senior and still have a whole summer and some to think about it. The sooner you start the more options become apparent and there are so many careers available today that the decision is not one to be made overnight.

Lyndsay

My advice back then would be to take my future more serious, understand how to manage my time, save money, learn out to deal with stress when it comes to big projects and tests, and most of all prepare myself for college and then my career. College is a roller coaster of stress, time management, money, careers, education, and it continues. If I would have been dealt these cards before I entered as a freshman, I think I would have had my eyes open a little wider and maybe had a better experience and a better understanding of my future and career. Northwest Missouri State University has taught me so much since I have been here and I am not done learning yet, my future and career are still in my path and that path is getting very short and it is both exciting and stressful! Thank you for your time :)

It doesn't matter what kind of person should attend Northwest Missouri State University. This school is for anyone who wants to receive a great experience, have wonderful professors, and make great friends that will last for life. Not to mention an education that will help you succeed in your future. This school is basically just the right size for a person afraid of a huge university and it is large enough to meet new people daily.

NWMSU has a great atmoshphere and people are so friendly (faculty, staff, students, etc). My teachers are very willing to help me when I need help on a paper, studying, etc and they are also very helpful when I need advice about classes. The campus is small enough to see many familiar and friendly faces but large enough to countinue to meet people. Plus the town that my school is in (Maryville) is small and most people know a lot of people here and I think it is nice to have that.

alex

Looking back my best advice to anyone that is about to be a first time freshmen is that the first semester is more about finding your niche than racing to get finished. Its going to take three to five years to graduate and a few extra classes your first semester arent going to make that much difference; take 12 to 15 credits at first and use the extra time to meet people. Go to the functions and parties you're invited to, take your roomate, and say yes to every opportunity. Eventually you will find your interests and your niche, build lifelong friendships and may even find the someone to spend your life with. You are guarranteed to have more fun and be more happy which will affect your grades in a positive way.

We have all kinds here, many ethnicities and beliefs ; so that is not an issue. Our school is small however and is not for those who love the bustling cities and the fast paced lifestyle. You must like being known by everyone and their dog and stopping to talk or have lunch with friends.

The campus is beautiful and all the buildings are within walking distance. There is a beautiful arbor walk and all of the buildings are iconic and unique. The area is expansive around campus with clean air, with rolling hills and nothing but cattle and crops. the town is quaint and tightly knitt, a place where the people take the time to get to know you, your needs, and love to talk.

Christopher

Academics and their football program. This year we played in the National Championship and I was a proud alum knowing my school was recongnized at that level. I currently work in Kansas City and often hear others remark on the academic programs at NWMS also.

I enjoyed Northwest Missouri State because it offered ranked academic programs while providing the feel of a smaller school. I was able to participate in sports, attend extracurricular activites on campus, and get to know many of the other students and teachers while concentrating on my academics.

Don't make decisions on who you want to be and what you want to be too hasty. Life is about learning as you go and developing into the person you are meant to be through life experiences. There is always time to live life, so take it. Don't let the timelines of others control your life. If there is a challenge in front of you take it. You will never regret the risk, you may regret the missed opportunity. And, if you mess up..there is always tomorrow to fix what was done today. Find out who you want to be. Enter college ready to find opportunities, not ready to start your career. Study hard and play hard! As long as you keep up with your classwork, enjoy all the other collegiate experiences to the fullist. Managing multiple facets of life is the key to life long happiness. Success won't find you, you need to find success. Use college as your springboard to gain diversity through others, establish connections for the future and find out who you are and the talents your possess. Use those talents, and you will inevitably impact the future!

If I could go back in time to give college advise to myself as a senior, I would say to apply to as many scholarships and grants as possible and start applying as soon as possible. The more scholarships and grants that you earn, the less money you have to take out in loans. I would also advise myself to go on as many tours as I can and to not be afraid to ask questions. Its better to get aquainted with the school of your choosing before you actually move on to the campus because that way you wont feel so overwhelmed once you get there. I've found that the more stressed out you are the more you mess up. Another thing I would tell myself would be to make use of the tutors and the help that the campus provides you academic wise.

The best thing about Northwest Missouri State University is the amount of support and help the school provides its students. Everytime I have a question or I'm stressing about something I know I can go to my advisor and he will provide limitless amount of sources or advise to help me get on the right path. The faculty is always willing to help the students to the best of their abilities.

I wish I had a better understanding of exactly how to manage my time more accurately. I thought i knew how I was going to manage everything without messing up. After the first couple of days, however, I didn't know how I was going to have time for everything. I just wished I had taken more advantage of the sources that the campus offered while I was applying. I think then, I would have been more prepared.

My classmates are the kind of people that can take a joke as well as deal out a few pranks to keep everyone in a good mood.

If I could go back in time and give tips on college life to myself, I would say that there are at least three things I needed to know. Number one is I will be a commuter student and don' t plan on getting to class on time when there is a blizzard warning and the University is still holding classes. Believe it or not "our" car is not exactly a snow mobile and it takes longer to drive, so expect to wake up early. The second tip I would give is that although the tuition is being paid, there are other bills to pay that build up far more than you thought they would. Gas, food, and getting into football games will build up and you will know the true meaning of being a broke college student. The third and final tip is that the professors are not academic ninjas; they do not seek to destroy your grades. You will be fine, just take a deep breath and have fun with the time you have left in highschool with your old friends before you make some new ones!

The best thing about my school is that it is small enough that you recognize people in your class but big enough that you feel like it is a new experience.

Northwest Missouri State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.