Clemson, SC
Clemson University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Clemson University

Allison

Pride DEFINES Clemson. Anyone can be pals with anyone through this powerful bond. We all love it here. LOVE IT. The size of Clemson is the perfect blend of a state school with all of the spirit it entails but also the small community feel without the aggrevations of constant traffic, crowds, etc. Bowman field is the place to be on a nice day. Bells are played by hand in the tower of Tillman throughout the afternoon and can be heard through most of campus.

Clemson is quick to embrace all types of people from a variety of backgrounds. I feel like Clemson is one of the few southern schools to have such an open mind about ethnic diversity. Students most often sport jeans to class, often accompanied by an orange or Greek life t-shirt- very chill. Financial backgrounds vary and are hardly at all ever even revealed. Students are politically aware but not too terribly active. Students do not discuss future salaries. We are entirely too laid back and place much more value on what we find interesting in the subjects we are studying.

The saying about what you put into something is what you get out is DEFINED at Clemson. It is totally true that if you put any effort at all into enjoying it here and making friends, you WILL do just that.

Clemson students are not that typical of those normally found at state colleges in the South. Students are definitely not that conservative and lack the close-mindedness often associated with such ideas. Clemson students ARE, however, very intelligent. We are fairly competitive but in a genial, non-aggressive way.

Professors are absolutely available and willing to meet with students outside of class. The most unique class I have taken is a Plants in Medicine, Magic, and Murder lecture. Don't be fooled, however, it is NOT interesting. But for the most part, classes are inspiring and I hardly ever feel like I am wasting time by going to class. I am in architecture and it is unbelievably vigorous but so eye-opening and I enjoy every minute of it.

Clemson students are probably seen as the type of people that typically attend large Southern schools: conservative, raised in church, and active in Greek life. They are seen as very intelligent but maybe too laid back to attend a higher-ranked school.

Fellowship of Christian Athletes is HUGE and a ton of fun. Students most always leave their doors open and casually meet and hang out. Dating is fairly common but one is definitely not out-of-the-loop without a boyfriend/girlfriend.

Zach

The best thing about Clemson is the Clemson Family. They start preaching this at orientation and you never really comprehend the phrase until you walk through campus and complete strangers stop you and ask you how your day is and how things are going. If I could change on thing I would change online classes. We all pay tuition to be taught by quality professors, we don't pay to teach ourselves. Clemson is just right, but we could definately expand in the future. When I tell people I go to Clemson, a majority of people say wow! that's a great school and you're up there in God's country. I spend most of my time on campus either going to class or getting involved somewhere. Clemson is a beautiful College town. Clemson's administration is great. most of them went to Clemson and have a deep passion for the students and the school. Biggest recent controversy has been a student death of campus that happened before Christmas break. School pride at Clemson is second to none. Solid Orange is everywhere and you can never break our pride. The unusual thing about Clemson is that we have 13,000 students, our sports programs are division I, and we are a top 30 public university. I will always remember my first Clemson football game at Death Valley. The most frequent complaints are about the parking patrol.

My experiences have been wonderful we all tend to get along fine. A student that couldn't speak English would feel out of place. Most students wear Kakis or jeans when it's cold and shorts, polo shirts, and sandals when it's warm. All different types of students interact everyday. You have your fraternity guys, your athletes, your agriculture kids, and your group of people who didn't do any of these. Most students are from the state of South Carolina. Middle to high class backgrounds are most prevalent. Students are very aware of politics and most are very conservative. For the most part students don't talk about how much they'll be making one day.

Yeah, I am a Construction Science and Management major. If you're going to ask me to fill out a survey where my major is required, I suggest you get all of the majors here at Clemson on your list.

-All greeks are not drunks. The Greek system is one of the strongest groups of students at Clemson and is actually about 20% of the student body. Our student body president is Greek. The only groups who do philanthropies are Greek and we are the largest

All Greeks are alcoholics We are not a diverse school

Yes, my professors know who I am. My favorite class has been Construction Scheduling. It is a very down to earth course and I learn the exact steps of the construction process. My least favorite class was Structures, this class is more for engineers and architects and we got thrown in there and it was tough and I won't use much of it ever again. Students study at least 2 hours a week at the minimum. Class participation is a good part of most classes. Students are very competitive, and intellectual. My major is Construction Science and Management. It is an awesome major because it's small so you have the same students is your classes most of the time and the same teachers for different classes so you have a chance to get to know your peers and teachers on a personal level. Clemson academic requirements are fine, the are challenging, but achieveable. My education is geared toward getting a job.

Fraternities and Sororities are the most popular to party with. I am involved with Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. When I lived in the dorm I left my door open and rarely locked it when I left. Football, basketball, and baseball are incredibly popular. Guest speakers love coming to Clemson because of the support they receive. The dating scene is very popular when you're a freshman and again when you're a junior or senior. I met my closest friends from my dorm and my fraternity. Tuesday at 2 a.m I am either studying, coming back from a night downtown, or watching movies. Our football players run down the hill every home game, we have MLK celebration every year, HFH builds a house on Bowman field every year for a member of Clemson's faculty, we have a first Friday parade every year when we come back in the fall, and we wear orange every friday for school pride. People party anywhere from once a week to 7 days a week. Fraternities and Sororities are a vital part of Clemson. Over 20% of the student body is Greek and they are more often then not the movers and the shakers. Last weekend I had a SAE leadership conference in Columbia, SC. Saturday night you can go to the movies, attend a number of small groups, or hand out on campus. Off campus you do the same things as on campus you just have to drive to get there.

Jesse

I love how Clemson is one huge family and athletics are great too, there is nothing like it! I would change the exam schedule to a Monday-Friday not Saturday - Saturday. I think Clemson is just right, I don't feel like I get lost in the crowd here. Especially when it comes to classes. If people know about Clemson they tell me how great it is that I go there, it's a very positive reaction. But sometimes when I go home people have no idea where Clemson is and what the school is like so I have to explain. Usually in my room since I live on campus but classrooms would be next in line, haha. College town - not that that's a bad thing There is tons of school pride. I love Solid Orange Friday's and any past alumni that you talk too are so proud they have a degree from Clemson. I will always remember the first time I came to campus as a student. It was a sense of awe, nerves, and excitement. I love it though!

I have never personally experienced anyone discrminating aginst me because of my race, religion, socioeconomics or any other group that I might fit into. But no matter where you go in life there are people that might disagree with you but you just have to shake it off. Most students where jeans or shorts and t-shirts. It's usually a comfortable casual. Yes, you have to interact with many different kind of students. I have found that many professors love group work so you have to step outside of your box and talk to people that might be different. You never know, that person could become your best friend! Most students are from South Carolina and then I'd say from surrounding states, Georgia, North Carolina, Alabama, Tennessee.

Well we do love orange so that is definitely true. But saying we as a whole are country or super smart is a little off. Clemson students are amoung the top students but we are not nerdy. Most students here have many extracurricular activites - we don't spend all day and nigh studying. And though Clemson started as an Ag school we have many different majors to choose from that don't related to our Ag background. I don't think Clemson is preppy at all. Some people might think so because it's the more expensive state school or that it's in the upstate but Clemson has a very diverse group of students.

Over the course of my two years here I would say about 90% of my teachers learned my name. Sometimes classes are larger and it's harder to remember all those students but they would know my face. If you make a point to talk to your teachers and show them you are interested in class they will learn your name. I loved English 103 and 214 even though I don't really care of english that much I had an awesome teacher so it was great. I also love my management classes (which is good since I'm a management major). My least favorite would be Chemistry. I just didn't understand it but I did have a great teacher so it was a little better. I think it depends on the student and subject. There are some classes I don't have to study a lot for because I just get it, it comes naturally but some classes I have to bust my butt because it's challenging to me. Yes, most professors exprect class participation. Sometimes it even counts as part of the grade! So far the people I have met from my major/department have been very helpful in aiding me in understanding what I have to complete for graduation. I meet with some professors outside of class durning their office hours if I am not understanding something in class or to review a test. (I guess that's what this question means) I think some of the Gen Ed requirements are silly for certain majors but I think Clemson does a great job at giving students the opportunity to choose what Gen Ed classes they want to take. I think Clemson does a great job and gearing things to getting jobs. They host job fairs at least twice a year as well as mandatory interships for some majors.

Last year and this year I leave my dorm room door open. I think it is more welcoming to people to have your door open. Athletic events are huge at Clemson! The other two are usually smaller. A lot of times students go to the latter two for class assignments or extra credit. But I will say the times we had Presidential canidates on campus this year there was always a large turn out. I met my roommate and best friend in class my freshmen year. We were in the same english class and then found out we lived a floor apart in the dorm. I met some of my other friends in the dorm. If I personally am up at 2am I must be sick because I am usually in be at like 11pm everynight! But probably homework or studying, something along those lines. First Friday, Homecoming, Parents Weekend - They're all very exciting things to attend I think it depends on the person, some party more than others If you want to do that then go for it but there are lots of other organizations to get involved in and many opportunities to meet tons of great people. I hung out at Clemson and had a nice lazy weekend. That usually how most of my weekends are spent. Just relaxing with my friends and enjoying Clemson. You can head to Anderson and catch a movie and so some shopping or go to dinner, you can rent movies and have friends over to just relax. There are many things you can do to have fun around Clemson. I'm usually with my friends but we like to go to Anderson.

We are all super smart, nerdy even We love orange We are country We are preppy

Meghan

My favorite two aspects about Clemson are weather and football. They're both amazing. If I could change one thing about Clemson, it would be the parking situation, I'd build a parking garage in the middle of campus underground. Clemson is the perfect size. Most people from my hometown don't know much about Clemson so they don't react much when I tell them I go here. I spend the majority of my time in my room, other than when I'm in class or out socializing. There is barely any "town" to Clemson other than a tiny strip of bars and restaurants. It's still a nice area though. I haven't had too much contact with Clemson's administration so I can't say much about it other than the fact that I haven't gotten the best attention/advice from the two advisors I've talked through during the last two semesters when it comes to choosing classes. There is a ton of school pride here, another thing I love about Clemson. The best feeling I ever got here was on my first day here (from Connecticut, not knowing anybody) three people said hi to me while we were walking down the sidewalk, three complete strangers, and it just felt so good because I've never felt so included before. Most frequent student complaints deal with parking, opposite sex escorting in single sex dorms and visitation hours.

I don't think that any student would feel out of place here at clemson, we have it all. People from other countries, bisexuals, lesbians, blacks, whites, hispanics, southerners, northerns, etc. Most students wear pants (jeans and/or slacks) and a shirt (t-shirt, sweatshirt, etc) to class, although you wouldn't be looked down upon if you wore something else. Some people go more comfortable and wear pajama bottoms to class and others dress up and look extra nice. In general, I don't think that different types of students interact but they're not against it, they just aren't given the opportunity so they don't interact. Most Clemson students are straight out of South Carolina, but there are a lot of people from Atlanta as well. However, the out-of-state ratio is increasing substantially over the years. From my experience, it seems that many people come from lower-income families as the majority of south carolinians I know are here with a scholarship. Most students politically aware and active, I couldn't say what party most are involved with.

These stereotypes are true for some people but not all.

-Sports fanatics -They think they're better than anybody -Very southern

The most popular organizations on campus are Greek Life and varsity sports. I'm involved with Alpha Chi Omega, a social sorority on campus. Sororities and fraternities are huge, but there are still other things to do if rushing isn't an option for you. Most students leave their dorm doors open if they are not working on homework. Athletic events are HUGE--especially football and baseball, along with the tailgating that comes with. Guest speakers are not as common, but when a big one comes they are very popular (ex. Obama). Theatre is almost non-existant, although I have been to one show. The stage was tiny as was the seating space. My best friend is my roommate. I don't date much but if you do date, most people go downtown to eat. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm either studying or at a sorority/fraternity function. The biggest tradition is the football players running down the hill right before the game.. It is the BIGGEST 30 seconds ever. So much fun. People party all the time--everyday is a perfect day to party in many students' minds. Fraternities and sororities aren't necessarily IMPORTANT, however, they give all frat boys and all girls many more opportunities to party. Last weekend, I had a sleepover and watched a movie friday night and then Saturday night went to an apartment (to pre-game a little bit) and then to a Club in a neighboring town, Anderson. Of course we had a safe driver. On a Saturday night other than drinking, you could go shopping, see a movie, go bowling/play pool/pingpong at the union or eat downtown with some friends. Off campus is where the mall is and the town Anderson with several restaurants and things to do.

Professors of my smaller classes (30 or below) know my name but in bigger classes they don't. My favorite class at Clemson was English 103, a class required for all freshmen to take. My class was such a tight knit group and my teacher was so friendly and flexible in assignments that she made the class interesting to be in and I looked forward to going to class each day. The amount students study depend on their major- I would say that engineers and chemists have a bit more work than communication and business majors, although everybody does a decent amount of work for their degree. Class participation is common in the smaller classes where it's easier to communicate with the professor. I personally have not had many intellectual conversations outside of class other than with my roommate, but I'm sure other people do. Students are competitive to some extent, but it seems more that we're looking to help each other out not compete with each other. The most unique class I've taken is packaging science. I found it very interesting and enjoyed learning the random information that I would never think to take a class about before. My major is Graphic Communications-I love it. The department head wasn't exactly the friendliest with me when I wanted to switch into the major but he finally let me and now I'm enjoying it a lot. One of the advisors I talked to did not give me much advice at all, which was pretty frustrating but the other one I've spoken to was very informative. However, I ended up in a harder physics class that I was required to take instead of an easier version offered because I was unaware of the options I had. I don't spend much time with professors outside of class other than short informal visits right before or after class to clear up questions. Clemson's academic requirements are fair--they force you to take classes that are for your major and give you a list of 4 straight years of classes to be sure you complete your degree on time. However, this schedule does not give us that much time to take electives and explore other areas, which I am not too fond of. I think education at Clemson is geared towards getting a job but growing from the experience.

Whitney

The best thing about Clemson is the sense of family and community that you get on campus and with the other students.-Clemson is just the right sized school for me, some people think it's too large.-People usually react by telling me they know someone who goes to Clemson and loves it when I tell them I go there.-I spend most of my time on campus in the library or the wonderful coffee shops.-We have an awaesome college town! The transistion from campus to city is seamless here.-Clemson's administration seems very dedicated.-There is a TON of school pride here...it will follow you the rest of your life!-The experiences we have tailgating and at the football games will be hard to forget.-The most frequent student complaint is about commuter student parking.

Most students wear casual, comfortable clothes to class. You also see A LOT of orange.-All different types of students interact with one another.-Dining halls here are not like high school. Sit where you want.-Clemson students are from all over but the mostly come from the east coast it seems. Students are politically aware and active. We've had several candidates visit and speak. There are lefts, rights, and centers at Clemson.

No, we are not all country "hicks". Many students even come from northern states. Yes, we are finatic about our football (not everyone) but a lot of us.

Even in large lecture classes the professor is usually very personal and learns students' names and faces.-My favorite class at Clemson so far was a Lit 212 class. The professor was phenomenal.-Students seem to study a lot here.-Class participation is common.-Clemson students have all types of conversations outside of class (yes, even intellectual ones).-Students don't appear to be very competitive. Everyone is hard working but there is no tension that I have experienced.-My major is English. The staff in the department are wonderful and helpful. I love literature and literary discussions. Any of the professors are willing to engage in them, too.-I have spent time with professors after class when there are lingering questions and thoughts following a discussion.-Clemson's academic requirements are resonable and practical.-Clemson education is about learning and exploring your possibilities but is equally balanced with the priority of preparing you for the career field.

Some stereotypes: That all Clemson students are country/southern Clemson students are crazy about football

I'm involved with CU Student Government Transfer Council. We represent the transfer students on campus and work to improve a students transition into the Clemson Family.-Students in dorms often do leave their doors open.-Athletic events are very popular. Especially football and men's basketball. Guest speakers (such as the presedential candidates that came) are very popular events as well. Theater is wonderful at Clemson, too.-I met my closest friends through student organizations and through other friends.-If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday it's because I am REALLY behind on an assignment that's due.-Tigerama happens each year which is the biggest student-run pep rally in this part of the nation.-People party every weekend.-Fraternities and sororities are important to the people them.-Last weekend I went to visit my parents.-Saturday nights that don't involve drinking can involve going to the movies, going to the awesome restaurants we have downtown, or one of the many events we have (such as concerts, visitng comedians, etc.)-Off campus...I shop.

Clemson University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.