Clemson, SC
Clemson University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Clemson University

nate

Clemson's biggest asset for me is Lake Heartwell and its small town atmosphere but large University status. I wouldn't change anything except more off campus fraternity housing. South Carolinians are impressed when they find out I go to Clemson and people not from South Carolina always wonder where it is... they are usually surprised that it is in South Carolina. I spend most of my time on campus in Brackett Hall which houses all of the social sciences. It is definitely a 'college town' as the whole town exists around the college. The biggest recent controversy on campus was if Wal-Mart should open in the town... (it did not... but did open up the road). I would be amazed if there was any other school with more pride, our blood run'eth orange! One unusual thing about Clemson is that a dyke was built to keep the campus from flooding and when the lake was made and filled. I will always remember meeting my pot luck room mate on move in day... who is now one of my best friends and was in my wedding. People don't really complain here.

There are all types of people on campus. Diversity is an important part of campus life. I would hope that no student would feel out of place at Clemson, unless they were not somewhat serious about their investment in their future. Because of a diverse campus students wear a variety of things to class. The most common thing would be orange articles of clothing.

Clemson is the little big school. Small town atmosphere with a big University presence!

No... the southerners are all gentlemen and belles, and the rednecks are really just good old boys with big trucks... actually there is an impressive international student body.

The professors definitely know your name, especially if it is in your major. Different students study different amounts, pending on your major, how smart you are, and what grades you want to make. Class participation is definitely common and with small class sizes is feasible. Clemson students and faculty have intellectual conversations outside of class, especially downtown at a local watering hole. Students are more cooperative than competitive. It is usually like your class is a team and you are all trying to get through the semester together, this makes everyone more competitive when the graduate and adds value to everyone's Clemson degree. My major is Applied Psychology, and all of our faculty are pretty cool and can be found outside of class or even the University. Some even play music downtown. Clemson's requirements are constantly becoming more and more rigorous so that our degrees become more competitive both nationally and internationally. Clemson is a very research oriented and applied school, meaning that they prepare you for the work force while continuously contributing to the knowledge base.

Football. Football. Football. There is just about something for everyone... if not you can start. I like to spend my time on the lake.

Nathan

The upstate of SC is a great place to live, nice weather, lots of things to do in terms of outdoor activities, and student organizations. If you're into cultural experience, art, music, theater, etc., there is a much more limited selection available. Greenville has some reasonable options, and ATL and CLT are not far away, but Clemson itself is a small town with a big university in the middle.

Far too conservative -- the fundamentalist christian student body is just appalling. That you can get all the way to the early 20's and still believe in what amounts to Santa Claus is just laughable. I've heard quotes like "I'm no scientist, I prefer to just believe" as an argument or defense of why someone didn't understand evolution or the basis for the theory. It's just astounding. If you are willing to blow these people off and get on with your life, it's a great place. Just avoid the greek life and all the bullshit that goes with it and you'll be okay. Be your own person.

Clemson rocks, just be aware it's a largely conservative student body and that someone will try to save you at least once a month. I just tell 'em I'm Catholic (I'm not).

Mostly, yes. The student body is large enough that there's a niche to satisfy everyone, but if you're looking for an earthy, diverse place open to lots of different lifestyles or sexual orientation, this is not it. If you like Jesus, you'll be okay.

Academics are very strong (I was a mechanical engineer), particularly in undergraduate education. Overall, the quality of education available at Clemson is top notch, although no one will hold your hand. You really have to be assertive and take the initiative. Faculty are enormously responsive and willing to help, but will not actively engage slackers.

Bunch of football loving freaks Low diversity, frats, sororities, and farmers Very conservative - lots of conservative bible thumpers

Tons of activities/sports/clubs, great place to get to know people or to try new things. Avoid Greek life.

Wally

Clemson is really big about Engineering. I did Mechanical Engineering from Clemson and it was really good and they make improvement to the program every year based on input from Senior students. So if you want to do engineering and you are in or near South Carolina, then Clemson should be one of your top options. School size is just right. Not too big and not too small. Teachers always have time for students if they have any questions. But some teachers are not helpful outside of the class. People are very impressed in South Carolina when they hear that I go to Clemson, I do not know about other states. Clemson's administration is pretty good, no problems that I know of. There is alot of school pride that comes out especially during the football season. I will always remember the women in Clemson.

Since, this is the South and Caucasians is the majority of the students, so you will find some people who are prejudice and racist, but I just stay away from them and only hang out with the cool people. Mechanical Engineers earn around 50k to 60k right after graduating.

Personally, I like Clemson because of the Mechanical Engineering Program and the instructors. Clemson is a growing college, they are building new buildings all over campus and they are improving the engineering program every year. Clemson is not so good for business school, so don't come here for business.

Yes there are. I've been in Clemson for 6.5 years now.

Professor's remember your name if you talk to them after class or during their office hours. Least favorite was the fucking required english courses that I had to take and the stupid general engineering course. The core Mechanical Engineering courses are pretty good. I don't think students are really competitive here, but in engineering you get tons of homework, so engineering students are always busy doing something. Academic requirements at Clemson are pretty good. The education at Clemson is geared towards both getting a job and also learning for its own sake. Most engineering professors here have 10 to 15 years of work experience, so they know what students need to know when they're looking for jobs.

99% of students drink at Clemson University and I am 1% of the ones that don't drink. Drinking is the only social activity that happens at Clemson since it is in the middle of no where. They are parties pretty much every weekend.

Clemson is a white majority college, so 90% of student are white people. But everyone here is pretty nice. Majority of the white girls here are very very hot, so if your going to college for the ladies, then this is the right choice.

Candice

Clemson is a really good school if you like meeting new people all the time. It also provides a lot of opportunities to get into groups that you are interested in to make friends. It is definitely a college town, with not a whole lot going on besides the students, but that is what makes the college experience so unique. Clemson provides a lot of opportunities if you take advantage of searching them out.

Clemson is very diverse, and there are some groups that are more segregated than others. The beauty of that is that anyone can wear anything and still fit in.

College is what you make of it. Find classes, friends, and activities that challenge you and excite you. That is what will make it easy to wake up every day like it is the best day of your life... because it is!

Classes are definitely challenging, and provide a good change from High School. You get out of your classes as much as you are willing to put into them, so choose where you want to spend your time with what you are interested in. The classes I took definitely prepared me for getting a job, but there is also a part of college that is just learning how to learn.

- Clemson is an agricultural school - Clemson students are all southern

Clemson has a lot of groups, so it really takes being proactive to get involved. It is also an athletic campus, and a lot of people are actively involved in the sports. It is fun to get really into the football games. At first I thought all the people were crazy for driving their RV's and everyone dressing in orange, but after a year I was right there in the madness.

Brian

Clemson is a school where everyone wears orange no matter if its a football Saturday in the fall, or a rainy day of class.

In general, Clemson has a conservative student body. There are also a lot of preppy kids.

sort of, there are a lot of preppy kids, but most people are typical college kids

President Barker is on a mission for Clemson to reach the Top 20 public colleges in the nation, and we are well on our way. With the exception of the large gen-ed classes (chem 101/102, bio 103/104, physics, etc.) the classes are small and engaging. Even in my Organic chem class this past semester, there were 150 or so students, but my professor managed to learn everyone's name after 3 or 4 weeks.

a bunch of southern preps and "red-necks"

Everyone goes to football games, no matter who we play. Not a large perecentage of the student body is greek, but there are definently benefits. I waited 3 semesters before going greek so I can say that while not greek, there is still plenty to do (house parties, bars, etc.), and if in a fraternity or sorority, you still can go to non-greek parties, you just have a group to go to Carolina Cup with, and formals to go to.

Lindsey

Clemson is pretty amazing. It gives you that small town feel while still having around 15,000 kids attending. The camput is beautiful and the opportunities are endless. Everyone has a place at Clemson.

The clemson student is a fun loving one. Most are social and enjoy hanging out but know when to get down to it and work hard. They mix te right amount of work and play into thier lives.

Clemson can be te perfect fit for alot of students. I like how they try to cater to individuals but still look after everyone.

To some degree much education is stressed more and more at the institution

The professors genuinly care about how you are doing and what you need help on. They offer help every step of the way and get to know you.

Ofcourse everyone loves Clemson football. But they have a huge intramural and club sports program. Also there are over 300 clubs on campus so there is alot to do.

Lindsay

Best Thing: School Spirit Change: a little TOO rural if you are looking to shop, have to drive a distance. but then again I'm from NJ and I have like 6 malls in less than 30mins from me... Size: Just right. You get all the big school pride and wide range of academic opportunities while being in a student body of under 20,000. Reactions: People say, Oh that's a good school. My so and so went there..., It seems like everyone knows someone who went to Clemson and is proud of it. Time on Campus: In Brackett, where all my classes were. Otherwise, in sports buildings and fields. COLLEGE TOWN: I have yet to hear of any other school where atleast every other shop in town, and the surrounding area, works in the College's name into the title and, get this, has big orange paw prints leading into the town for MILES on the highway. They start right after you turn off of 85. Administration: Only complaint is that they spelled my name wrong on my diploma and I have to pay for the change...mean. Controversy: A student was murdered a few years off campus. Usually some new story pops up about drinking issues at a fraternity, a death or injury, sometimes just weird hazing rumors. School Pride: HUGE Unusual: I've never seen so many people travel to and leave a place so quickly. Before and after football games you do not drive for about 3 hours unless you absolutely have to. The Stadium seats something like 86,000 and I swear 80,000 people come into town. Half of the tailgaters don't even go to the game, they just come for the party! Experience: Crying when we lost to BC in 2007. We could have gone to the ACC Championship... and- When I visited campus the spring before I attended. I immediately fell in love with it. Complaints: No parking where you want it

Race and Such: Its like an 80% white campus or something crazy like that. Its also in the rural south. I came from a 60% white high school, there was a good balance of minorities and I was in an urban area. I saw and heard a lot of things that offended me but I also saw a lot of love of people and acceptance, it just depends on the people you choose to hang around with. I will say this, lost of confederate flags around. They see it as a pride thing, I see it as a symbol of racism, so whatever floats your boat I guess. Out of place: Goth, I can honestly say I've seen 2 goths on campus and they both stuck out like a sore thumb. Also, anyone extremely cosmopolitian like Sex in the City or the male equivalent. Wear to class: Anything, sweats, jeans, skirts, makeup/no makeup, sports jersies, band shirts whatever. Name brands usually on greeks like polo, vinyard vines, vera bradley, but otherwise normal american clothing nothing special. Four tables of students: Freshmen, Freshmen, Freshmen, Athletes that live on campus From: Uh, South Carolina, its a public school....I'm from NJ and there were a LOT of people from new jersey there. Other than that, Ohio, Maryland, NC, GA, FL, TN and MA. Politically Aware: We had Edwards, Obama, McCain and Ron Paul all come speak on hour campus. Even Ron Paul had a decient crowd. Its SC so when its an election year, people come to Clemson. SC in a big state in party primaries. Edwards is even from the neighboring town (born and raised not now). Good mix of political views, even though you are in rural south. One would think all right, but no the college campus factor balances it out. Also not as left as most college campuses, a really good mix.

Buy a lot of orange clothes before you move in... and know who Oliver Purnell and Tommy Bowden are (even if half the student population hates Tommy because he keeps blowing it for us). Clemson is awesome...what school has two mascots?

There is a lot of active greek life on campus, but less than 30% of kids are in greek life. Club sports are about as popular as greek life and when there are local parades for "First Friday" (usually the First Friday of the school year/First Football Game), both Club Sports and Greek Life are equally presented. Sports school, that term unfortunately gets a bad rep. Yes we are a big sports school and by the time you graduate you bleed orange because of a massive sense of school spirit campus wide. However, Clemson still has great acedemic programs, community service programs, and general student life opportunities. We cannot help being adamant about Clemson sports because (yes to another stereotype), the area is very rural and there isnt always much else to do. Being a rural school there are great areas for camping, hiking, backpacking, boating and other outdoor activities in the Clemson area. But, being a rural school, if you are a big shopper/ mall goer, I would stay away, not a lot of opportunities for that close to the school, would have to drive a bit to get to the malls and more urban shopper friendly areas. Finally being a southern school there is a huge sense of hospitality. You can see it in the sprinkling of gentlemen and ladies around campus, but there are other scenes where that isnt as prevalent. But if polo, vinyard vines and vera bradley make you gag, there is no way to avoid it in class or on campus.

Know your name: Once you get really into your major classes, usually sometime Sophmore year, yes. But that is contingent on participation! You have to participate! There are not too many HUGE classes. I think the biggest class I was ever in was Psych201 (Intro to Psychology), and that was maybe 200 and is kinda expected that's a really popular course. Never had any other class over 30, sometimes less than 15. Studying: depends on your major and if you want a good GPA or not. Participation: come on you have to participate in college.... Conversations: again, depends. if you want to have intellectual conversations there are a lot of outlets for that. if you dont, you can easily avoid them. Competitive: I've never had a teacher that graded based on quotas (I'm only giving out 3 As, 7 Bs, ect..). So I would say no. Most Unique Class: Camping and Backpacking. We literally did just that, go camping and backpacking around Tennessee. It only counted as one credit (a normal class is 3-4), but it was a lot of fun. They have a lot of great leisure skills classes. I also took things like Bosu, Yoga, Pilates, First Aid... There are always opportunities to take something crazy just to try it out, they even have 1 credit dance classes, even fly fishing, crazy.... Academic Requirements: pretty standard, maybe a little low/easy to complete. They only require that you take 4 classes a semester (or 12 credits), I usually took 18+ and had a great social life. I think this is why so many people take 5 years, because they only take the bare minimum, but then again I might have been the extreme because I had finished all my requirements and had MORE than enough credits to graduate the winter before my graduation in spring. And I studied abroad a semester, which normally slows people down.

big greek school, sports school, southern, rural

Club Field Hockey: Fun, friendly and family atmosphere. We played about 4-6 games a semester and had a really great record. Open doors: Yes. Events: Everyone goes to everything. Everything is crowded. 2am on Tuesday: if over 21 probably just leaving downtown for waffle house. if under 21 probably either in the library or making a mcdonnalds run or going to waffle house to laugh at the drunk people. Greeks: <30% of population, but they are very active so it always seems like more, not necessarially a bad thing. good parties. guys usually join them because freshman year its hard to get into a lot of parties, expecially frat parties. Saturday night sans drinking: Camping, movies. I loved going to school at Clemson, the social scene is diverse. If you like to keep things simple and are not into big parties or groups there is an outlet for that. If you like to drink and party there is a place for that too. You wont get lost in the downtown scene, its small and intimate and you know half of the people at the bar you are in.

Harper

as far as the student and faculty are concerned it is not a very diverse population, while there are some African-Americans this is far from the norm, there are many more Asian students. The student body is very hight spirited wearing the school colors every Friday. The university is not very progressive--it seems to want to stay stuck academically in the nineteenth century and the town is very small--the university has about 17,000 students but the town has only 11,000 residents and for such a small university and town the crime rate seems to be disproportionately high but it might just seem this was because everything that happens is emailed to the student population.

very white, high spirited, small town, non-progressive.

doublename10

Clemson is absolutely wonderful and I love it, and everyone else around me feels the same way. There is so much pride associated with being a Clemson student, and school spirit radiates across campus and in the community. On Fridays everyone wears orange, especially in the fall. The campus is beautiful, lots of grass and green all over campus. Additionally I think Clemson is a great size. There are 12,000-13,000 undergrad students (I think) which is big enough to meet lots of people and find your niche, but small enough that you always see someone you know when walking across campus. Clemson is definitely a college town. It is not a huge place, but I like that Clemson is off on its own. The community is all about Clemson, and everything is centered around the university. Because it is slightly off the beaten path, there are all sorts of waterfalls and great hiking places nearby, but major cities aren't too far away. We are 45 minutes from Greenville, SC, 2 hours from Atlanta, and 2 hours an 15 minutes from Charlotte, NC. The biggest complaint about Clemson is parking, but I think parking is a problem at most universities. There are definitely enough places to park on campus, but the number of parking lots gets smaller the closer you get to the center of campus. I don't mind though because it makes campus more compact because you are not walking through huge parking lots to get to class. Plus the bus system on campus is great, and buses are always running to and from commuter parking lots and they run to a lot of the off campus apartment complexes. The administration is really great. Our current president, President Barker, really respects the students and has a lot of school pride. I see him all the time at various sporting events, but also organizational events and just around campus. I have heard stories of people knocking on his door and inviting him to play frisbee or other games on Bowman Field (the huge field on campus), and I know he has gone out there a time or two to play. Furthermore, the school really does a good job of addressing student complaints. Almost any complaint I have ever heard or given, besides parking, has been dealt with. And people are working on the parking problem, but it is tough to find a good solution. One of my favorite things to do at Clemson is to spend an afternoon on Bowman Field. On a pretty day, there are always lots of students out there playing frisbee, reading, throwing a football, or playing some other game.

Clemson is definitely located in the Bible Belt, and religious organizations, particularly Christian ones, are prevalent on campus. Although I am less aware of other religious groups, I know there is a fairly large Hindu group on campus as well. Unfortunately, I am less familiar with the other religious groups on campus. I would say the average Clemson student comes from a middle class family, but there is definitely a variety of financial background and there are plenty of students from lower and upper middle class families and lower and upper class families. I am white, and the majority of Clemson students are, but I do not think race is a huge issue on campus. At Clemson they really push the idea of the "Clemson Family". When I first heard about it at orientation, I thought it was some crap they were feeding us to sound appealing, but after I got here I discovered it was true. Everyone is kind to everyone else for the most part, and there is a definite bond between students and alumni that comes from being a part of the "Clemson Family". Most students are always willing to lend a helping hand. Additionally, it is great the sorts of people you meet at sporting events and other huge Clemson events where everyone around you is just as excited and pumped to be there as you are.

Ummm, this is somewhat accurate. A lot of students are preppy, but it definitely does not apply to all students.

I have had very few classes at Clemson that I have not enjoyed, or at least tolerated, especially since I have gotten into my major courses. Although some of the freshman science and economics classes are large, I my biggest class had 75 students, but I would say the average number is between 25 and 30. Additionally, I have had really good relationships with most of my professors. I have found most to be very willing to help, even outside of class, and have very accomodating office hours. The most unique class I have taken at Clemson was a class on Clergy Leadership in America. It was a special seminar, but it was so interesting. Everyone in that class was taking it as an elective, but it was a great class. The professor has done lots of research and is published on the course, and it was great. Also, in the fall I am taking a history course on the Assination of JFK which I have heard great things about and I am really excited.

There are so many organizations on campus I cannot even begin to name or even know them all. There is definitely something for everyone. Students are very welcoming. Most people leave their dorm room doors open, especially in the Freshman buildings. A lot of my friends, especially in the beginning were people who lived on my hall. Sports are huge at Clemson. On football game days tents sprout up all over campus with tailgaters who are ready for the big game. I do not know very many students who do not go to the games. Basketball and baseball are also really popular, and Clemson's campus is overflowing with school spirit. Clemson's theater, known as the Brooks Center, does have some really interesting shows and concerts. This fall the broadway traveling show Hairspray stopped in Clemson. Additionally there have been various ballets and musicians/bands/orchestras that have performed in Clemson. Greek life is prevalent on Clemson's campus, but it is not overwhelming. The campus is about 20% Greek. There are no houses on campus, however, meaning it is really easy to be in a sorority but have plenty of friends who aren't or are in a different sorority. They have sorority halls (dorms where everyone on a certain floor is a member of that sorority) which allows you to live with your sorority sisters, but without a house there is no sorority meal plan or anything like that, so we still eat in the dinning hall and it is really easy to be involved in other things on campus. I do not drink much and I have never had problems finding things to do. Sometimes on the weekends me and my friends will go to a concert at the Brooks Center. Other times we may go to a baseball or basketball game. Clemson LiVE is a student organization which is always putting on concerts, movie nights, and other events which are often free or heavily discounted for students. Another common nighttime event is frisbee golf, which is very popular on campus. Once a month Clemson has their own version of "Who's Line is it Anyway" with a group called "Mock Turtle Soup". There is always something going on and there are always things to do. One of my favorite things to do on Friday is have lunch at the Esso. The Esso is a resturant/bar near the edge of campus which has a meat and three everyday for lunch during the week. The food is amazing, and me and my friends go almost every Friday. When it is warmer we can eat outside, and it is also a great place to watch a game. Almost every Wednesday night there are swing dances which are really fun. There are lot of people who are really good, but there is always a lesson at the beginning, and there are just as many people there to have a good time and learn.

Clemson has a reputation for being very preppy.

Ryan

No one knows where Clemson is let alone ever heard of it. It is a nice small college town: few bars and clubs on Main st. There is only one major road with anything to do and that is Main st. Lots of school pride everywhere. beautiful historical campus. great for sports fans. school is not big and not too small.

Clemson is much more liberal than my undergrad of Texas A&M. There was a gay pride parade one day. Most students were from upper-middle class families. students wear whatever they want to class. it is a very open environment to express yourself. I was in the Digital Production Arts program to get my MFA. The students I met that hadn't graduated yet were all very friendly and helpful. They are now my best friends.

Clemson is a great school, much better than Texas A&M in every way. Going to Clemson is the reason I have an amazing job at Rhythm and Hues making movies. My undergraduate degree at A&M did nothing for me. Very expensive for out of staters. If you are out of state going for your graduate degree, get an assistantship anyway you can. It pays for most of your college tuition which is why I have no debts to pay after I left.

I only did my masters work at Clemson so the people I hung out with were always in my related field and we discussed class topics outside of class all the time. Spending my undergrad at Texas A&M I can say that classes at Clemson are a little smaller in size compared to those of a much larger school. Core classes can have more than 200 people, but more specialized classes are less than 20 people. Most teachers like to know your name and encourage participation. Clemson geared our program on learning the subjects from the ground up. This knowledge helped me tremendously when applying for jobs.

I never heard of any before I went there.

If you dont have a car there isnt much to do around campus accept go down to Main st. small bars line the street with restaurants and Clemson merchandise stores sprinkled in between. Football is by far the largest attended and celebrated sport which was great for me. Football season is the greatest time of the year. It is the only time fans are allowed to park vehicles practically anywhere they want on campus.

Clemson University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.