Clemson, SC
Clemson University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Clemson University

Jane

"Name one thing you'd change. What was the biggest recent controversy on campus? What are the most frequent student complaints?" There are definately things I would change about Clemson; the main one being the parking situation during game day. There was recently a bill passed that is going to convert all of R-1 to IPTAY parking on game day. Which is going to remove at least 200 parking spaces from students when there already weren't enough spots to park on campus before the bill was passed. Another problem with the parking situation is that Clemson is planning on taking the students tuition money and using to make a parking garage available only to teachers. However, it would be far more practical to either make the garage for the students (we already have more limited parking than the teachers) or have the teachers pay for their own lot. These two examples of things I would change have been huge contoversies and the leading causes of student complaints on the campus in the past year that I've been here.

"What are your experiences with racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic, and/or other groups on campus?" From what I've noticed, there isn't much, if any, racial, religious, or any other kind of descrimination here at Clemson. Most people seem to be very open to people of different cultres, religions, etc. and it seems to be a non-issue. There is, however, a bit of self-segrigaiton going on that I've noticed; but that is to be expected for groups of people who share a similar first language, other than english, to gravitate towards eachother. "There are four tables of students in the dining hall. Describe them." This is something I've actually noticed when I'm eating at the dining halls, and I'd have to say the four major groups are: frat/sorority kids, band kids, nerdy kids, and (I hate to say it but it's the truth) black people. I don't intend to be racist witht that comment, however, I have seen that the black kids tend to sit with eachother in the dining halls. Now, that is not to say that just because they're not white then they can't be in a frat/sorority, in the band, or that they can't be nerdy; however Clemson has the lowest ratio of black to white students than any other University in the state. It's unfortuante, but a I metioned earlier, minorities tend to search eachother out and that causes them so self-segregate themselves. The other three I mentioned aren't as risqué and are to be expected: frats and soroities are part of a "brother/sisterhood" and naturally spend more time with eachother; the band kids spend so much time with eachother during practice, it's natural for them to bond; and the nerdy kids eat with eachother because their interests tend to be very similar yet radically different from the rest of the population.

There is definately a lot of partys on campus, and if you want to you'd definately be able to find one any day of the week. But I've yet to go to one and most of the students, the one's that make it past their freshman year that is, only attend on occasion. I don't think that it is an issue at all but I guess it depends on the student.

The main stereotype of Clemson is that it is a major party school and that all Clemson students party.

Harper

best thing - you get the complete college experience s/thing I'd change - better alternatives to hanging out downtown on the w/e size - depends on the individual, but a perfect fit for me reaction - very positive, especially impressed that I graduated in 4 years time - at my dorm or in the library college town - what college town? admin - competent controversy - frat brother died in hazing exercise pride - in abundance unusual - red sunsets every once in a while memorable experience - seeing Barack Obama speak at our amphitheater frequent complaints - crowded library

populated by farm boys and girls - no college sports crazy - yes strong engneering school - for the most part hot redheads - some of the nicest party school - not so much, there's a lot more crazy out there

populated by farm boys and girls college sports crazy strong engneering school hot redheads party school

Connie

The best thing about Clemson is the feeling of pride you get walking around campus. From day one, you start to bleed Orange, due simply to the fact that they imprint that national sense of pride into you. School size is just right, because it's big enough where you can meet someone new everyday for your whole career there, but small enough where you will pass your friends/acquaintances on the way to class every so often. Some people to this day do not know where Clemson is located, and many in fact thing it's a private school since there's no "state" title tagged to it, and the city of "Clemson" is barely known to anyone who doesn't know about the school. It's a great college town because the town was set up to meet the needs of the students: college-price friendly restaurants, shops, bars, etc. Another awesome thing you will rarely find in in-state public schools is the diversity among people from different areas. Clemson's roughly about 40% out of state, and is certainly noticeable when asking people where they're from. Sadly, the race balance is nowhere near where it should be as it is about 87% white. Experiences I will always remember include how the entire CAMPUS becomes one big tailgate, the hills, stories, "snowdays" (we've had one every year I've been there), etc.

You will find clicks at Clemson, just as easily and realistically you would/will find at ANY other University in the country despite popular belief. At Clemson, it comes down to the Greeks, Athletes, and regulars. However, just because people are associated with one particular group does not mean they won't hang out with others. You will see plenty of interaction between black/white, athlete/greek, etc. You will find that most out-of-state kids, who are from the North, come from strong socioeconomic backgrounds, although that's a bit obvious considering it costs close to 30k to come from out-of-state anyways. Once people separate from their parents for long enough, they begin to form their own political views but it's a southern school so you will find a strong abundance of RIGHT winged people

Um, the girls are very attractive for the most part and it is college, so people are hooking up left and right/experimenting just like anywhere else. Parties and bars are pretty much the ideal places to pick up girls I'd say, and meeting people through mutual friends is often a popular option for the passive-aggressive people out there. It's college, and it is what it is so make the best of your 4 years here if you do choose to come. The people around town are super-friendly and cater to college folk, the students are nice for the most part and are out to have a good time just like you, and the professors are helpful and actually want you to succeed.

Like any other school, yes, some stereotypes are accurate and describe certain people but not the vast majority. Yes, for the most part, the girls are southern belles but are incredibly sweet, usually gorgeous, and fun. The guys range everywhere from closet computer nerd to Fratty McGee and everywhere in-between.

Classes range in size, depending on how general the subject is. For example, an intro Bio class will be about 230-250 where a more personalized class, as you get deeper into your major, will only be around 15-25 kids which is awesome. You'd be surprised the number of intelectualites walking around the halls. I've had a number of stimulating conversations with people that includes politics, religion, sports, and everywhere in between.

There are plenty of clubs for even the shyest of the shy out there, and if you give it some time, you can find a group or organization you truly feel connected to and want to join. Trust me. IF you want it, you can find it. Dorm life is just like anywhere else, and a great place to meet people you're freshman year. Athletic events are HUGE, I think clemson is one of the biggest jock schools in the country, hands down. People show up in the masses for women's/men's soccer games (1,000-2,500+), football (90,000), men's basketball (13,000+), baseball (6,000 people+). Mass support. Greek life comprises about 25% of the population. I met my friends I have now from a variety of places...orientation, clubs, classes, sports. You'll find that freshman year especially everyone is eager to meet people and find their potential "new best friend"...trust me. Party scene is just as big as anywhere else if not bigger, especially during football season. Spring time, cops crack down a little more but it's still a pretty big scene. They usually have a good amount of activities/sponsored events on the weekends that don't involve drinking. The Edgar's student union is usually pretty active Friday nights in the spring and includes bowling, comics who come do stand up, pool, video games, etc.

Many of the stereotypes create the preconceived notion that most Clemson students are deeply rooted in their southern traditions, where boys where typical southern "frat" stuff and the girls are southern belles, some of which are just there to receive their M.R.S. degrees. Clemson, as a city, is stereotypes to be a desolate, remote, hick-town village in the middle of nowhere with little civilization encompassing its area.

MJ

Strength: Personal attention and faculty-student interaction. Location- needs more urban location to get the school more exposure. Just right size. College Town. Helpful and efficient administration. Lot of school pride!!! I am a proud Clemson Tiger too. Great school, but the potential is still unknown!

Very out-going and progressive.

Will you recommend? Why did you choose? What do you think of your decision? I will definitely recommend my school... I chose it over Ivy League schools... It has been one of the best decisions for my career.

No... I have come across some of the best people, and they are all spread across the world. I, myself, am moving to Washington, DC as are two other classmates of mine.

Professors know everybody individually. Class partcipation is common; we do discuss outside the class, and students are competitive.

People often cited that they are more of sportspersons than academicians. Mostly stay in SC.

Harper

The Cops at clemson suck. The parking services at clemson are even worse

The Cops at clemson suck. The parking services at clemson are even worse

Awesome student body, everyone is so friendly.

Greek life is fun, it can either be a big party school or low key scene to accomodate any students life style. There are tons of things to do at Clemson, with emphasis on the outdoors. Nearby lake hartwell is my favorite thing about Clemson.

Alex

I applied to seven school, all ACC, Clemson was the last school that I heard from, and basically was the only one I was truly concerned from hearing from. I got it, and it was the best peice of mail that I have ever and will ever receive! President Barker calls it a Clemson family. And as corny as it might sound, it really is. Everyone, alumni included, is concerned about Clemson students, sports, and their "blood running orange". I have never heard of a school being so proud about where they go/went. Myself included. Its the perfect size. Around 17,000 but if you go to to the library you will know at least 100 people. You can walk or take the CAT bus everywhere. You can wear and be comfortable in anything to class. You will have great teachers that are willing to help you. There is ALWAYS something to do. There are tons of places to eat. Using your Tiger Stripe card to pay for things is always nice, too. Clemson is truly a college town and those that live around town, love the college kids. You will see clemson tiger paws everywhere, followed by beautiful landscapes and buildings. There are tons of on and off campus housing, and a great new recreation facility as well. The most common complaint, however, is parking. There is never enough. Yes, its a pain, but definitly not a reason to diss clemson. I am so proud to say that I go to clemson and I let everyone know that.

All I can suggest is to take full advantage of what being a Clemson student has to offer!

I love Clemson. 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, C-L-E-M-S-O-N T-I-G-E-RRRR-S Fight Tigers, Fight Tigers, FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!!! Woooooh

Clemson is full of all kinds of people. Of course you will find tons of southern, preppy kids, but you can also find a group of every "type"

If you are in state there are tons of scholarships you can get. They do require you to keep your grades up. I am out of state and did really poorly my first semester. However, since then I have gotten my act together. It was my own fault and as long as you keep up with the class you can do fine. of course there are some challenging courses, thats the idea, but there is tons of extra help you can get if you are struggling. The longest paper I ever had to write was a 24 page, single space, term paper. Other than that I have only heard of 12-15 pages double space. Tests are regular, and of course there are some classes that are a peice of cake. Your grades are your own and we use a Blackboard computer system to keep up with your progress in every class. I am a travel and tourism major and the best teacher I have ever had is Dr. William Norman. He is constantly offering his students support, I stop by his office in passing just to say hi, because he makes his students appreciate him, as well as themselves. My computer crashed mid spring semester this year. He helped my find a backup so I could still complete my work with ease. As an advisor for the department he tells it like it is, and always find the best solution to a problem. All of the departments back up their students and are always finding internships and job opportunities.

A million activities to be involved in including intramurals, clubs, and greek life

School spirited, outgoing, fun, entertaining, southern

Ryan

Everything at Clemson is a big deal. They make everything as fun and interesting as possible. Football and basketball games are a really big deal. Even minor things like freshmen fest are a big deal and they make it fun. I'll never forget the my first Bowden Bowl, we rushed the field, were asked to get off the field thent hey let us rush it after they reviewed the replay. It was amazing.

Clemson and USC have a really wierd rivalry. Clemson students tend to be pretty well-off. USC students I gather are not. So we are the rich kids and they are the poor kids who we always beat. The steriotypes are pretty true.

mostly, yes. There is a great recreation facility called Fike where there are 5 basketball courts where games are constantly going on. Sporting events are the place to be. Alcohol during tailgates is a big deal, but not so much that it wrecks the experience for someone who doesn't drink.

Most professors are personable and friendly. They are willing to help you through things you don't understand. TAs can suck, often times they don't speak good english. Overall academics are relatively enjoyable and challenging, but not miserable hard.

To some extent...if you like to party, it can easily be found. If you don't like to party, however, there are also hundreds of friends to be made. Whatever you like to do or whatever kind of people you like to be around, there is a spot for you at Clemson. Because it is such a big school, there are opportunities for everyone for any interests that you may have. Once you find your special group, you make friends for a lifetime and you truly find your own spot within the Clemson family. It may seem overwhelming, but the big school experience is truly unforgettable.

We love supporting our tigers in all areas of our athletics. We have true Clemson tiger pride and strive hard in the classroom. Some may say that we like to party too much though.

Andy

I think Clemson is a perfect college because it is not small but it is not huge. I know tons of people and all of my professors. As long as you take the time to introduce yourself to each professor, you won't feel like just another student in a big auditorium. Teachers and TA's are always willing to take the time to help you as long as you ask. I love the fact that Clemson is a college town and everyone around is there to help you out if you need it. It is very hard to explain my favorite memory of Clemson, but I will give you one of my favorites. The first time I ever visited Clemson's campus I was planning on attending a different college. My parent's and I drove onto Clemson's campus and drove down a hill that went straight up to Death Valley. I rolled my window down and there was the Clemson vs. NC State game and there was 2 minutes left in the game. The stadium was completely orange and I never heard such loud fans. The pride those fans had in their school was absolutely breath taking. I got chillbumps and I knew that I would love it at Clemson, and I have been at every game for my blood runs orange.

The best way I can explain Clemson's student body is to say that every person I see on Clemson always smiles at me and says hello. Our campus is filled with very nice people. We are all very involved in everything around campus which can be easily observed if you walk in front of the library or in the student centers because there are always tables for all our organizations.

Clemson is amazing. I got into 8 amazing colleges when I applied and I chose Clemson and I have never regretted it even for a second. I recommend this college for anyone who is motivated to have an outstanding future but who is also ready to have some fun.

Clemson is a small town but it is very untrue about Clemson being boring. I have had tons of fun at Clemson and I am going to miss it dearly when I have to leave. There are a ton of people from around the state, but I also have tons of friends from around the country.

My professors are the best at any university around. They are friends and advisers because they are all willing to help at any time. I don't have a favorite class because I have enjoyed so many but I guess the most unusual was Plant Medicine and Magic. It was amazingly interesting. Every student spends a lot of time in the library and in professors offices because the classes are challenging. Each class is designed so that it may help us in the future get jobs, get into graduate schools, get into law schools, or get into medical schools.

Clemson is seen as a small boring town with students that are mainly from around the state.

I am involved in many honors societies because I love the group dynamics. Every organization that I have participated in or with has been very goal oriented while very fun at the same time. I am also involved in Greek life which has definitely opened my eyes to new experiences. The philanthropy events you participate in are constant and always fun. The many concerts and games provide tons of entertainment and then there is the bar scene which is very fun for those over 21.

Clemson University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.