Clemson, SC
Clemson University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Clemson University

Amy

I think the best thing about Clemson is all the students because most of the people are really friendly here, and you can meet a lot of people. I think Clemson is just right, because you can usually know at least one person in your classes, but its not so small that everyone knows EVERYTHING about you. Most people are impressed that I go to Clemson. There is a LOT of school pride here.

Most students here do wear the same thign to class, its really wierd. Most Clemson students that I have met seem to be from North or South Carolina.

At first glance, it would seem like these stereotypes are accurate, but after being here for a few semesters, it really isn't true and there is a variety of students.

My professors do know my name. I think most students study an hour to 30 mins a day, but not all at once, just a little bit between classes anda t night, and then study a lot before tests (thats what I do). Class participation is common and in a lot of classes required. Students are not really competetive and me and my friends don't have extremely intellectual conversations outside of class. The most unique class I've taken is probably my Sexuality in the Cinema class. My major is English, so I write a lot of papers, but I liek that more that taking tests.

I think one stereotype of Clemson is students is that they are rednecks, and rich, white, and protestant.

Kendall

One of the best things about Clemson is the campus. It's a big place, yet it isn't sread out to the point where nothing can be found. Even though the campus is nice, i think I would change some things about it as well. There are too many hills for someone like me to be walking up. For me, the school is just right. Most people seem surprised because they expected me to go out of state. Some of the administration is cool. There's plenty of school pride, blinded during football season with all the orange. Students I hear, complain about the food. Sometimes, for what we are paying, you'd expect the food to be a little better than what it is. There's nothing unusual about Clemson. Controversial? Well, there were several things that happened here, but I'm not really sure if there are any that are controversial.

I'm not really sure what kind of student would feel out of place. The people here (for the most part) are really nice, at least from what I've seen. Only a person who is deeply antisocial would feel out of place here. Most students wear clothes that are comfortable and suitable to the weather. Summertime, there are lots of people in capris, shorts, short shorts, and t-shirts (with flip flops). During the winter, they dress for the cold. Long pants, some kind of shirt and a coat. Most students I don't think talk about how much they'll earn one day. Everyone is trying to live in the now and finish basically what has been started, which I think is a good thing. I'm not politically aware unless I'm told, so I'm not really sure about other people. So many people are from so many different places. I've heard some of everything.

For the most part, these stereotyes are true. there are some really smart people here.

Some of my professors know my name, but I'm mostly in big classes, so I don't hold it against them if they don't know my name. My most favorite class is my English class from the first semester and my math classes. I'm good at both and both seem really easy. I'm just a little lazy when it comes to doing the work, but I still like them. My least favorite class was Computer Science 101, and it's sad. Let's just say I may not be meant to be a programmer or whatever they are trained to do. I see students study Sunday through Wednesday. There are a few that study on weekends, only a few. Class participation isn't as common as I thought it would be. Most classes, students just sit there and look at the professors, which I find funny sometimes. I don't spend time with professors outside of class. I'm thinking of changing my major from computer science. Like I said, it isn't for me.

I'm not really in any groups yet. Hey, this is my first year, I think I need to get a little adjusted first. I live in an apartment, but from what I see, people leave their doors unlocked. I'm too scary for that and I keep my door locked as long as I can help it. Athletic events are everything sometimes, especially football games. Guest speakers and theater aren't as popular because I never really hear about them. I don't look for sports events but I always end up hearing about them. Closest friends? Does that happen in the first year? I met my closests friends in elementary school. Frats and sorors aren't that important to me. People party pretty often, sometimes, there's something going on somewhere every weekend. Off campus I just hang out with friends and family.

When I hear about Clemson, I automatically think about smart people.

Tate

The best thing is the diverse people that you get to meet. I would change the food, because it get old after a while. The school is really big and I like it. When I tell people that I go to Clemson, they think that I am really smart. Most of my time spent on campus is either in my room, a friend's room, or the library. College town. The biggest recent controversy is president Barker being sued.

There are many different groups of people, but most of the time everyone gets along.

Most of my professors know my name. My favorite class was a small, laid back class, CU 101-Nursing. Students study sunday through thursday, religiously. LOL.

The most popular group/organization are the band and iptay.

Some stereotypes about Clemson is that everyone is white, a drunk, and they party too much.

Ziggy

Clemson's location is really convenient and its Engineering and Science department is really good and strong. I would probably want to change the cost of living on campus to a more affordable price. Clemson's just the right size, not too big, not too small. People are usually proud that I go to Clemson, unless they're USC and Georgia fans. I spend most of my time in class or in my room or the library or somewhere outside in the nice weather. It's definitely a college town. Clemson seems to have a good administration. The biggest recent controversy on campus was what to do about the freshman fraternity member who died from too much alcohol intake. There is a lot of school pride, especially when it comes to sports. I don't find anything unsual about Clemson myself...I'll always remember my first engineering class (hell) and meeting my boyfriend there. Frequent student complaints deal with parking availability.

Clemson has parties, but I don't think they are that bad, although I've never been to one. Parties don't interest me. And yes, it is a hard school to get through, but it's not impossible. Clemson doesn't suck; USC and Georgia do!

Yes, my professors know my name. My favorite class was my Communications class from last semester. My least favorite was Psychology. I see a lot of people in the library all of the time, so I guess students in general study a lot. Class participation is very common, and intellectual conversations do happen outside of class. The most unique class I've taken is Guitar. My major is Computer Information Systems. It's hard, but I'm doing okay. I do talk to my professors and advisors a lot. The education prepares you for the job world and gives you a little extra information for the road.

Clemson's a party school. Clemson's a hard school to get through. Clemson sucks!

Gene

Clemson has the best atmosphere for game days, we all know how to put the school work aside and focus on the prize at hand. I would change the fees! Its just right. Well since im from Columbia SC they dont look too highly on that. Library getting work done. Definitely College town! Crappy, They dont know what they are doing! President Baker taking 80 million dollars from the students over 8 years now! Hell yeah! Nope. Freshman year, make it the best of your life!!! Campus parking for commuters!!!

That all of the white males are frat boys with the crokies and rainbows and polo shirts

Dylan

Clemson is a beautiful place to be. You get to meet so many people from different backgrounds, and it's wonderful! When I tell people I go to Clemson they say "You must be a genius to go to that school" or "Wow, do you really go there because that is a top school". I try to stray away from comments such as those; however these are the everyday stereotypes that me and other Clemson students face. School pride is definitely a big deal at Clemson. You must have pride to be a Clemson Tiger. If you do not have any pride for Clemson, I guarantee by the time you reach your sophomore year you will have a fond love for Clemson.

I feel like Clemson's student body is not diverse enough. Also, tuition is way too expensive and students are being charged for things that they do not utilize. The dining halls are nice; however the food is not the best thing I've ever tasted. I like it when I see people of different ethnicities being friends or even dating. I think this school does tie those backgrounds together well, in spite of racial issues that are prevalent. I think Clemson is very firm in their religious beliefs. This school does honor and respect everyone's religious wishes and sexual orientations; although those people who maybe LGBT are looked at differently, which should not be.

I would have to say that the majority of these stereotypes are not accurate; however I do believe that Clemson does possess racial issues that are being ignored. It is just one of those sensitive issues that constantly gets "swept under the rug".

Most of the professors are good; however there are some that are mean and disrespectful. Most professors I've had have known my name; however in larger classes of 100 or more they do not even know who I am. I think when you graduate from Clemson you will be able to find a job. Clemson keeps its students well prepared for the future ahead of them by offering so many opportunities for success.

The most popular things at Clemson would have to be the sports, particularly football. Football is the best time of the year, in my opinion. During football season there is so much unity among the students and members of the community and afar. Social life at Clemson is pretty good. Some people are friendly; while others are just typical people who see you and do not speak. I have never been in the dating scene at Clemson, but most people I know who attend Clemson date outside of the school. Basically for the dating scene, there is not much to chose from in my opinion. First Friday is a big thing at Clemson because it's the parade for the first football game. Sororities and fraternities are a big deal on campus. This is how people network and become well known around the school and community. Honestly, if there is not a party going on in Clemson then they is not much to do. There are movie theaters and restaurants outside of Clemson, so you would have to travel to find the fun! Thursday nights in Clemson are crazy!!! Downtown Clemson is filled with college students who go to the bar and have drinks or hang out. I have never been in any bars because I am not legal to drink; however I do go downtown to socialize and see everyone!

I think the biggest stereotype that Clemson students receive is that we are too preppy and high maintenance. A lot of people view Clemson as being "the white school" or the "the white school with the preppy black kids". Another stereotype that is known about Clemson is that all of the students are extremely smart. One stereotype I discovered was that "all the black students are in engineering". Another stereotype about Clemson is that it is known only for its football program. One last stereotype is that Clemson has a lot of racial issues that are being ignored.

Meg

The school spirit is amazing; the parking police are very strict and have no problem writing tickets; I feel like it's just the right size because there are some days when walking to class when I know a lot of people and other days I don't recognize anyone

there are so many diverse groups of people here that everyone can find a place where they belong; most people wear sweats and jeans to class, some make an effort to look presentable; most people are politcally active, especially this year because of the election and some of the candidates came to campus

To some degree, although now that we are trying to become a top 20 university, things might be changing

That everyone is in involved in Greek Life; we have a better reputation for our parties than for our academics

Athletic events are huge and they are a great way to have the true Clemson experience; intermurals are fun;

Some professors know my name, although I wish more would make the effort to do so; My least favorite class was probably calculus, although there are many that could take the cake; Class partcipation usually helps my grade out a lot, and I don't always speak up in class; I feel like in my department they change their minds a lot, so I'm not always exactly sure what is going on

Toby

The absolute best thing about Clemson is the people-you will not find a school with more passionate, spirited people, driven to keep Clemson alive and also spur it to constantly change for the better. If I had to change one thing, I wish transfer students felt more of a connection to the student body. Clemson is JUST RIGHT! I feel completely at home and like I know a ton of people. I graduated from a school of 3,500, and many schools I looked at attending felt either too small or too large. Clemson is perfect. Many people know what Clemson is and think it is a wonderful school, and if they have never heard of it, they can tell it is great from the way I talk about it! A lot of people know we are an agricultural school, and some people think that is bad. Clemson does a lot of great research in agriculture, as well as provides opportunities for students here that other schools do not offer. I spend most of my time on campus, well, everywhere...the library, in academic buildings, in the student centers, and in the dining facilities. The bookstore is one of my favorite wandering spots if I am indoors. Otherwise, I love to spend time in the gardens or in one of the many green spaces. Clemson is most definitely a college town. The surrounding community supports us, and there is orange everywhere. We have a small downtown centered specifically around the college and its students. We have had struggles with parking a lot lately. A lot of school pride?? The school pride is OVERFLOWING! There is no square inch yet to be covered. Unusual about Clemson...it is a land grant school, and although it is public, the state does not rule over Clemson because we follow the founder Thomas Green Clemson's will, which states that there will always be 7 elected Board of Trustee members and 6 state appointed. One experience I will always remember is move-in day and how I could not wait to experience what this great place is all about! Frequent student complaints are definitely parking.

I believe that someone is crazy-absolutely crazy, not to fall in love with this place or not to be able to see the evident love for Clemson in everyone's faces when they visit Clemson's campus.

No. I would say these qualities are present around campus for sure, but I personally hang out with friends involved with the Greek community as well as outside of the Greek community.

Greek life has a major presence on Clemson's campus, but there are way too many organizations to count. Personally, I am active in Greek life, student leader organizations, alumni-related organizations, as well as philanthropic and religious groups. The dating scene...well, if you want a date, there would be no trouble finding one! There is a plethora of both good looking guys and girls of every type! Traditions that happen every year are Tigerama, the annual Homecoming pep rally; many graduation traditions; football season is something everyone looks forward to-to name a few.

Clemson students are stereotyped as preppy or (Southern) rednecks with a large Greek population.

Allison

Pride DEFINES Clemson. Anyone can be pals with anyone through this powerful bond. We all love it here. LOVE IT. The size of Clemson is the perfect blend of a state school with all of the spirit it entails but also the small community feel without the aggrevations of constant traffic, crowds, etc. Bowman field is the place to be on a nice day. Bells are played by hand in the tower of Tillman throughout the afternoon and can be heard through most of campus.

Clemson is quick to embrace all types of people from a variety of backgrounds. I feel like Clemson is one of the few southern schools to have such an open mind about ethnic diversity. Students most often sport jeans to class, often accompanied by an orange or Greek life t-shirt- very chill. Financial backgrounds vary and are hardly at all ever even revealed. Students are politically aware but not too terribly active. Students do not discuss future salaries. We are entirely too laid back and place much more value on what we find interesting in the subjects we are studying.

The saying about what you put into something is what you get out is DEFINED at Clemson. It is totally true that if you put any effort at all into enjoying it here and making friends, you WILL do just that.

Clemson students are not that typical of those normally found at state colleges in the South. Students are definitely not that conservative and lack the close-mindedness often associated with such ideas. Clemson students ARE, however, very intelligent. We are fairly competitive but in a genial, non-aggressive way.

Professors are absolutely available and willing to meet with students outside of class. The most unique class I have taken is a Plants in Medicine, Magic, and Murder lecture. Don't be fooled, however, it is NOT interesting. But for the most part, classes are inspiring and I hardly ever feel like I am wasting time by going to class. I am in architecture and it is unbelievably vigorous but so eye-opening and I enjoy every minute of it.

Clemson students are probably seen as the type of people that typically attend large Southern schools: conservative, raised in church, and active in Greek life. They are seen as very intelligent but maybe too laid back to attend a higher-ranked school.

Fellowship of Christian Athletes is HUGE and a ton of fun. Students most always leave their doors open and casually meet and hang out. Dating is fairly common but one is definitely not out-of-the-loop without a boyfriend/girlfriend.

Zach

The best thing about Clemson is the Clemson Family. They start preaching this at orientation and you never really comprehend the phrase until you walk through campus and complete strangers stop you and ask you how your day is and how things are going. If I could change on thing I would change online classes. We all pay tuition to be taught by quality professors, we don't pay to teach ourselves. Clemson is just right, but we could definately expand in the future. When I tell people I go to Clemson, a majority of people say wow! that's a great school and you're up there in God's country. I spend most of my time on campus either going to class or getting involved somewhere. Clemson is a beautiful College town. Clemson's administration is great. most of them went to Clemson and have a deep passion for the students and the school. Biggest recent controversy has been a student death of campus that happened before Christmas break. School pride at Clemson is second to none. Solid Orange is everywhere and you can never break our pride. The unusual thing about Clemson is that we have 13,000 students, our sports programs are division I, and we are a top 30 public university. I will always remember my first Clemson football game at Death Valley. The most frequent complaints are about the parking patrol.

My experiences have been wonderful we all tend to get along fine. A student that couldn't speak English would feel out of place. Most students wear Kakis or jeans when it's cold and shorts, polo shirts, and sandals when it's warm. All different types of students interact everyday. You have your fraternity guys, your athletes, your agriculture kids, and your group of people who didn't do any of these. Most students are from the state of South Carolina. Middle to high class backgrounds are most prevalent. Students are very aware of politics and most are very conservative. For the most part students don't talk about how much they'll be making one day.

Yeah, I am a Construction Science and Management major. If you're going to ask me to fill out a survey where my major is required, I suggest you get all of the majors here at Clemson on your list.

-All greeks are not drunks. The Greek system is one of the strongest groups of students at Clemson and is actually about 20% of the student body. Our student body president is Greek. The only groups who do philanthropies are Greek and we are the largest

All Greeks are alcoholics We are not a diverse school

Yes, my professors know who I am. My favorite class has been Construction Scheduling. It is a very down to earth course and I learn the exact steps of the construction process. My least favorite class was Structures, this class is more for engineers and architects and we got thrown in there and it was tough and I won't use much of it ever again. Students study at least 2 hours a week at the minimum. Class participation is a good part of most classes. Students are very competitive, and intellectual. My major is Construction Science and Management. It is an awesome major because it's small so you have the same students is your classes most of the time and the same teachers for different classes so you have a chance to get to know your peers and teachers on a personal level. Clemson academic requirements are fine, the are challenging, but achieveable. My education is geared toward getting a job.

Fraternities and Sororities are the most popular to party with. I am involved with Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. When I lived in the dorm I left my door open and rarely locked it when I left. Football, basketball, and baseball are incredibly popular. Guest speakers love coming to Clemson because of the support they receive. The dating scene is very popular when you're a freshman and again when you're a junior or senior. I met my closest friends from my dorm and my fraternity. Tuesday at 2 a.m I am either studying, coming back from a night downtown, or watching movies. Our football players run down the hill every home game, we have MLK celebration every year, HFH builds a house on Bowman field every year for a member of Clemson's faculty, we have a first Friday parade every year when we come back in the fall, and we wear orange every friday for school pride. People party anywhere from once a week to 7 days a week. Fraternities and Sororities are a vital part of Clemson. Over 20% of the student body is Greek and they are more often then not the movers and the shakers. Last weekend I had a SAE leadership conference in Columbia, SC. Saturday night you can go to the movies, attend a number of small groups, or hand out on campus. Off campus you do the same things as on campus you just have to drive to get there.

Clemson University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.