Norman, OK
University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

Julie

The best thing about OU is Game Day!! If I were to change something, it would be that we had more greek functions. I love how small the campus is compared to the amount of students that attend OU! I spend most of my time in the library, love the biz. Definately a college town. OU's administration is very well out together, I feel like everything runs very smoothly. The school runs off of its pride!! BOOMER SONER! I will never forget my times in Dallas for OU/Texas. The most complaints are definately about the campus being dry.

I know that there are a number of different groups on campus. No one would feel out of place here, there is something for everyone. No one wears the same thing to class, some people wear nike shorts and a t shirt while others wear a dress and heels. There are many multicultural events troughout the campus. I wouldn' be able to describe them because the campus is so diverse. The campus does a WONDERFUL job of bringing in political speakers, so I think that students are poticially aware.

OU is the best thing that ever happened to me!!

I do not think so, I have met some awesome people not in the greek scene!

I'm in the greek scence, so that is what I would say. I'm in the tri delta sorority and it's the best. Students leave the doors open in the dorms. GAME DAYS are my favorite day of the year. You can't even explain how much fun it is! The school does an amazing job at bringing speakers in and they are always packed!! I met my closest friends through my sorority and the girls on my hall. If I am wake at 2am on a Tuesday I'm probably studying. OU/TX is the absolute best weekend of the year. It is impossible to expain it. YOU HAVE TO GO!! I go out three times a week, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday!! Thursday is always the most fun!! In my opinion, greek life is everything but I know you don't have to be in one because there are so many other things that you can do!! Last weekend, I went to the bar on thursay night to hear my favorite band, then I went to our date party, totally tri delta, and then I went to another date party on saturday night!!!! Go to bricktown and go to dinner and a movie or hang out with friends, there is always somethig going on!!

Some of my professors do but it really just depends on the class size. My favorite cass is accounting!! I love it soooo much! Our teacher tells us about his life and talks to us about ours! My least favorite class is mis because we do the same thing everyday and the information is painfully boring. I study at least four nights a week. Yes, we have intellectual conversations outside of class. Very competitive. I am majoring in energy management and finance. The head of the Energy management department is amazing, he knows everyones name and wants to help everyone.

Lindsey

I'll make it simple. Best thing about OU: what you make it. One thing I'd change: more coffee local shops around campus Size: 300-student intro classes are RIDICULOUS. You feel like a cog in the giant machine, or a tiny, useless mouse. Otherwise, you generally run into the same people during your daily routines and through activities. "Yeah, I go to OU." Oklahoman response: "Boomer Sooner!" or "Sick. OSU all the way, man." Non-Oklahoma response: "Oh." I spend the majority of my time on benches under beautiful trees, at Cafe Plaid, a three minute bike ride from the Journalism building (which is completely Appled-out--Macs everywhere, best building on campus by far. If not for the campus, Norman wouldn't be on the map in your glove compartment. You should see game days--population doubles and the streets are so deserted I swear tumbleweeds blow by. Administration: I've chatted with President David Boren and his wife on occasion. Both very cool. Mrs. Boren hugs trees as tight as I do and President Boren does cool stuff for his kiddos--in my time here, he's brought Al Gore, Bill Clinton, Joe Klein, and the guy who the movie Hotel Rwanda is based on. Most recent controversy: Some of the dorms lost hot water for a day or two. Something Unusual: We used to have a mascot at basketball games called Top Dawg--this brown dog with a jersey on who'd let little kids pull on his ears. He mysteriously disappeared. I miss that pup. School Pride: OU may define the phrase. Frequent complaints: Ironically, the architecture building needs serious renovation. Dorms are a bit cramped--but what do you expect when you're housing thousands? Personally, I hate the mornings after a football game--the place looks like it sprouted a field of Budweiser cans overnight. :

Walk down the South Oval and you will see every skin color, race, sexual orientation, and socio-economic class that exists. Not everyone's a small-town hick--on the contrary, the kids who wear cowboy boots stick out like sore thumbs (that said, I sport a 25 buck pair of Wal-mart boots myself on the occasion). I think it's easy for shy people to feel alienated and not cared about. On a campus this size, you have to jump out there. Greeks generally hang with Greeks. Most kids, I"d guess, are from middle-class Texas or Tulsa families. Many are second-generation. Politics aren't huge, but definitely are a growing trend. Take a poll and I'd say one-third would know what side of the fence Romney's on. Party-wise, the student population is split-the whole tossed salad metaphor applies. Kids talk about money, but it's not like the Ivy League stereotype "Well, MY dad makes more than YOUR dad." Scholarships are readily available. I have friends from a broad array of backgrounds--rich Dallas kids, small-town, single-parent kids, and even immigrants.

You'll see a few walking stereotypes on the South Oval every day, but they're only croutons in the tossed salad of student diversity on OU's campus.

I got credit for talking to weeks straight about drugs, sex, movies and rock 'n roll--my Honors Capstone during Intersession called 'Hollywood and the '70s.' The Honors College offers the best classes--small with superbly cool profs. Discussions practically blow your brain to bits. By the end of the class, the professors know your name and whether you're registered Democrat or Republican, and you know whether they smoked grass in college--or still do. Outside of Honors classes, I've sometimes felt like a robot going through the motions--take notes, memorize, spit out info on test, forget it. If you go to office hours and ask questions--professors across the board are more than willing to help and talk to you. I think in several cases, my talking in class has bumped a B to an A. Kids cram around finals. The library's like a 24-hour caffeinated camp out. But it' s not un-hip to study, students hole up all over campus and campus corner to study 24/7. Everyone's on their own schedule and too busy to notice anyone else's habits. There's an extremely competitive co-culture on campus--I'll call them 'campus-climbers.' These kids join every club, apply for every leadership position and scholarship--and get them. These are generally the kids who took all A.P. classes and will end up in D.C. or being a rich housewife. But you have to have both ends of the spectrum, right? I won't give names, but yes, I've had a glass of wine or two with some professors. Many leave around campus so it's easy to meet up and have coffee. I meet with one professor regularly at the BookMark coffee shop to talk about a research project--that's my 'class time' with her. Once again, you get what you give. I think OU's academic requirements are fine, because whether a person comes straight out of high school with a 4.0 or took ten years off to have kids before coming to college, everyone's paths are carved differently. The journalism college has been a great networking tool for the real world. The professors span the board-from Harlequin Romance writers to ex-editors of big name papers and journals. I'm part of the Gaylord Ambassadors Program, which has landed me on first-name basis with many higher-ups. We regularly meet with professionals in various journalistic fields and have opportunities to chat, get business cards, and find out about internships. Recently, the college started a Facebook group that keeps me posted on available jobs, internships, happenings, etc. I have complete access to the best equipment from computers to green screens. Basically, it rocks.

Once, in NYC, a guy in a leather jacket asked me if I rode buffalos. I told him yes, of course, and that I'd rode one all the way to the Big Apple. Redneck, staunch Bible-thumpers, cheap beer-guzzlers--just a few off the top of my head. If you ask someone on campus where people are generally from, they'll most likely say, "Texas and Tulsa." This is true--but I've met fellow peers native to Cali, Arizona, Spain, London, France, the Bronx, India...you name it, we got it. I even had a rad Muslim Poly. Sci. professor named Mohomad from Morocco. The Greek Scene: fake blonde, fake-baked, Ugg boots, says "like" and "totally" every two seconds = sorority stereotype Polo shirts, popped collars, Business major, says "dude" and "bro" every two seconds = frat stereotype Bottom line--they exist, but it's not true for all. I've worn both hats--Chi Omega and GDI--both are legit. Football. Okay, it's a HUGE deal. I won't lie, I'm named after Lindsey St because it runs by Owen Field. Many bleed crimson, quite literally (my dad, a Sooner alum, wants his ashes scattered in the endzone). But, on any given Saturday, I could do any of the following and be completely in my element: a) paint myself red and scream my lungs out at a game b) discuss relativism and Nietzsche smoking hookah at the local hookah bar c) pack a picnic, knitting needles, and a few barefoot hippie friends and head to a local coffee shop for home-brewed beer d) strut the poppin' bar scene in my best knock-off Prada.

Campus Activities Council--heads pretty much everything that happens. Sports Teams in general--if you're an athlete, you have it made. I tutor athletes and honestly, it seems like if you can run fast, you can get paid to come here. But sports bring in a ton of money, and pay me, so I'm not complaining. On game days, Norman basically shuts down for the day. Athletics are huge. On the flip side, theater and music thrive, too. I've seen spectacular plays, operas, ballets, modern dances, and even performances by world-renowned professionals, including a Japanese Noh drummer and an English pianist. Dating is dating is dating. I see pressure to hook up only on the bar scene. But mix alcohol and young people together anywhere and that's a given. I met my closest friends in various places: in the dorms the first week of school, on the South Oval talking about poetry, at Cafe Plaid, and by living next door. The Greek scene is huge. HUGE. But the non-Greek scene definitely exists. Last weekend, I hung out with some girl friends, went to two different house parties, read some poetry at a local reading, danced at a bar, worked, did some arts and crafts, went to Wal-Mart, watched six Turner Classic Movies, and did homework. Alcohol doesn't define fun. Lots of times I find myself randomly hanging out in the street with my neighbors doing cartwheels or taking walks. Kids love to be outside here. I've had picnics, had jam sessions with friends, get coffee a LOT, and see movies. The University offers free movies every weekend, free concerts nearly every weekend and lots of fun events scattered around the campus. Just this week I saw a sign for free sushi and origami-folding in Cate Center. It's funny, in the dorms, everyone locks their doors. But I live near campus surrounded by college students in houses and I leave doors and windows open all the time. It's kind of like a hippie commune around certain areas.

My ultimate favorite thing about OU is how easily adaptable the campus is. When I first cam to OU I did not know a single soul. When I was dropped off by the parental and saying goodbyes I realized I would be nine hours away from anything I was familiar with. I was scared about this new venture called college for about a minute before the campus opened its arms to me. Offering me all of its friendly people, an assortment of clubs to join, and free activities every weekend it wasn’t hard to fall in love with OU. Friendly people were not hard to find. Some could call it “southern charm” but I feel OU has its own unique hospitality. Perhaps it is the environment. From the beautiful red brick campus to across the street for the eclectic shops on campus corner it is hard not be in a superior mood. If I could I would change how technically advanced the entire school is. Some buildings are equipped but, most are not. OU is is just right in terms of size. The campus is large, but it's all closely nit. Same for the number of students enrolled. It's definitely larger and a step up from high school but not so many people it is impossible to run into a friend. Since I am from Texas... people are generally "What the eff?" when I tell 'em I am going to OU. I would say I spend most of my time on campus at the Bookmark which is a little coffee house downstairs in the library. OU is the ULTIMATE college town everything is built around the university in Norman and the city is only fifteen minutes away. I have been able to get to know administration on campus by being involved in various campus activities and they are superb. They are extremely helpful and always take the time to really listen to students. The biggest recent controversy on campus was probably last year when one of our football players was illegally accepting gifts and was kicked off the team. School pride is eminent here. It's neat to go to a respected and well-known school. Something unusual about OU is there is supposedly some secret tunnels underground.. Creepy. An experience I'll always remember is how I have slowly become somewhat of a football fan since I went to my first game. I never thought anything could make me a football fan. Lack of parking space is perhaps the most frequent complaint from not only the students but the faculty as well.

There are some extremes with socio-economic statuses evident here on campus. There are lots of girls wearing $200 jackets, $800 purses, and $200 boots which total cost about two semesters worth of food for some. I don’t think any student could feel out of place here as there are is an eclectic student body. I would say most students dress casually and comfortably to class. Different types of students interact for the most part from what I observe. With four tables of students in a dining hall people would go to where they knew someone at first but if not I see the majority of people here friendly enough and eager to meet new friends. Most OU students are from Oklahoma I would think however; I am also surprised to see how many Dallas Texas students there are. There are students who like to flaunt their financial background as mentioned earlier with their $800 dollar purses, they stand out in my eyes as trying to hard. With the election this year students are publicly politically aware of their support for Barrack Obama but I don’t see any public interest for any other candidate. I would say students here with mainly mid-American experiences are right sided in the political world. Sometimes I hear talk about money in one’s future but it is a real annoyance in my opinion.

Nope! Your questions are definitive.

Once getting to OU I found I didn't have to fight my way through a non-stop party. There are SO many ways to get involved which didn?t include frat parties.

I have been pretty lucky to get to have some pretty far out professors who can remember my name. My favorite class has been communication for social change with Clemencia Rodriguez. I wanted/want to change the world after taking the class. Least favorite class would be statistics; it was really boring for me as a non-math person. I see people studying all the time at all of our local coffee houses so you can always find a study buddy. Class participation depends on what class you are in I think. Freshman classes don't have a lot of participation but as you go on more people loosen up for some participation. OU students do have a lot of intellectual conversations outside of class. I have met some students that seem more knowledgeable than professors. There are a lot of national merit scholars here at OU. Actually, I think we might have the most in a public university but I don't see a lot of competitiveness among classmates. The most unique class I have taken is Ballroom dancing. It was two hours once a week of lots of girls and a few nervous boys. I couldn’t ask for more with the University of Oklahoma’s Communication department. Communication was my original major as an incoming freshman to the university. I learned about it through friends and thought it would be a great department to get my bachelor’s degree in. Falling into this field has granted me with many opportunities to learn with exceptional professors and guidance through it’s advising. My personal career goal is to obtain a significant position within a large music company and work for the free press of all music. I believe communication has and will continue to prepare me for this goal. Classes within the department have given me the confidence to do tasks like researching, speaking, and writing in excellence and success. I don't spend a lot of time with professors out of class however I do take advantage of office hours. I feel the academic requirements are fair here at OU.

The most popular groups and organizations on campus would be all of the Greek life as 1/3 of the campus belongs to one. I am involved in a sorority. I had not a clue what I was getting into but it truly has been a great experience and I have learned a lot about different kinds of girls in general. Some students leave their dorm rooms open but the majority don’t from my experience living in the Honors Dorms. Football is crazy popular like pizza here at OU other athletic events are recognized and well attended but not comparable to football is king attitude here. Guest speakers in the last two years have been amazing! We have had everything from Al Gore to George Bush senior. The theatre department here is also incredible and puts on the most amazing productions. I personally think dating in college is difficult as everyone is mostly headed in different directions with their life and career goals. If I am awake on a Tuesday at 2 AM I am either facebooking or studying for a test. There are ‘traditional events’ that take place here each year such as volunteer opportunities like the Big Event and Dance Marathon. Both are for a good cause. As mentioned earlier Greek life is huge at OU but it is not hard to make friends without being in one. Last weekend I studied one day and the next went to a local bar on campus corner, The Library, and casually hung out with friends. People party here often but it is not the only thing that happens on the weekends. On a Saturday night aside from drinking one can see what the campus union is doing, slumber, movies, dinner, games, concerts, etc. Off campus people generally go to other bars, shop, work, or go to other concerts from what I have heard.

OU Stereotypes.. hmmm.. Well, I came from a relatively smaller school and graduated with a class of 250 and was the first from the high school to come to OU. Thus, it was basically a leap of faith with a scholarship that made my decision. I had no idea of what I would be getting into. Although movies like Van Wilder, Old School, etc. made me think I was going to be a timid freshman going into a non-stop party. OU Students...same thing. I knew one person before coming here who was a year ahead of me that I had met at a high school student council camp a couple years before and she was friendly? Man, I was cluuueelllesss.

Hunter

If I could change something : more place where we could eat "on campus". There is just the union where there are 5 fast food restaurants. Or you have to go back to the dorms where there is the cafeteria. I would also have more places with healthy food because I get bored of Wendy's salads! I spend most of my time at the library because there are study rooms where you can study with friends and talk at the same time. It makes it more fun! But also in the union because there is a big room in which people are playing the piano, which is very nice to hear to while studying.

When I decided to pick OU as my university, my friends back home made fun of Oklahoma because it is said to be a "fly-over state" (you don't do anything there except fly over). You might also be thinking that people here are rednecks because Oklahoma is in the center of the US. But I just love it here. I'm from a big city but love the countryside. Norman is a small-sized city but Oklahoma City is 20minutes away. There is always something to do on campus anyways. There is a big international community and people are from everywhere, inside and outside of the United States ! Plus, Oklahoma has that southern style kind of living and everybody is very friendly.

Most of my teachers know my name, it's because our president does his best for us to get small classes. We participate a lot since classes are small.

Mark

While the greek system is a big part of campus life, there are plenty of opportunities besides the greek system. And though I see students rolling by in BMWs and Range Rovers every day, those student are few and far between!

The biggest stereotype is that OU revolves around the greek system and that OU is full of a bunch of spoiled rich kids.

Royce

Being a kid that grew up breathing crimson and cream, going to OU was all about sports. Sure academics are great and all, but I knew I could get the same pretty much everywhere else. I have loved sports my entire life and no university on the planet can give you the total college sports package like OU. Saturday's in the fall might as well just be a state holiday. Over 100,000 people flood Norman and everywhere you look you see crimson and cream. Fans pack the stadium to see the most successful modern era football team compete. And for four hours, you're part of that. You're part of what happens on the field - living and dying with every single play. Football at OU isn't just about what takes place between the lines. It's so much more than that. It's what you talk about when you go to class Monday. It's why you wear that interlocking OU shirt so proudly. You'd never really find yourself in South Dakota and someone says to you, "Hey, I see you go to OU. How about that journalism school?" No way. It's all about football and school pride. I'd argue with anyone that no one takes more pride in its football and athletics as a whole as OU students. When you're part of this university, you're part of the team. And that's what makes it so great.

Absolutely, 100% inaccurate. Sports power a lot of what goes on at OU and the football program alone generates a ton of money for the university. One thing people don't realize is that OU is one of three universities that have self-sustaining athletic programs. So before you complain about Bob Stoops getting six million dollars a year but your desk is broken in a classroom, remember that NO money is taken from academics and given to the athletic department. If fact, last year the athletic department donated seven million dollars to help fund an addition to the OU library. So a huge misconception about OU is that football comes before academics and football sucks money from the school. Which is completely untrue. It's actually quite the opposite. NO, ZERO, ZILCH money is taken from scholarships, academic funds or anything else and given to the athletic department. The athletic department generated over 70 million dollars last year and did it ALL ON ITS OWN. The academic aspect of OU and the athletic department are two totally separate entities.

That OU is strictly all about sports and that money that could be used for academics and scholarships is instead given to the football program.

Laura

One of the best things about OU is the opportunity given to every student to be active in their student community. I loved being involved on campus and also in my sorority. It was a large student body, but also tight-knit at the same time. I came knowing a few people and left with tons of friends and acquaintances. I would change the stoplights on Lindsay street (they are annoying). The school was the perfect size. OU has a great reputation, unless you are talking to someone who goes to OSU. When I was on campus, I practically lived in the Gaylord School of Journalism and Mass Communications. Norman is totally a college town. The administration is great at OU. There is a lot of school pride, especially during football season. I will never forget my experiences as a student ambassador- especially at the opening of the National Weather Center (I took around the head anchor and VP of The Weather Channel). Dorms are usually a complaint, but they have gotten better.

Everyone can find their niche at OU. Most students are from Oklahoma and Texas, but there are definite exceptions. Different types of students interact.

While at OU, I met a very diverse group of people with all kinds of backgrounds and interests. I must say, there is a very large and strong Greek community and some of the stereotypes were true, but not in a bad way.

Campus Activities Council is big, same with Greek life (which is huge). Athletic events are huge, and OU always has great guest speakers. I met a lot of my close friends through my sorority. There was always something going on. I didn't drink until I was 21 and there were always non-drinking activities on the weekends. There are lots of great Christian/church organizations to be a part of.

I had some professors who knew my name the first day of class, others that probably never knew it. My favorite class was Mass Communication Law - my least favorite was Photojournalism (horrible teacher made the class miserable, that prof is no longer there). Most students study a large amount, but that varies on the person and their major. I thought there was a lot of class participation. Intellectual conversations occur outside of class. Most unique class I took was Freedom in Greece. I was an advertising major and a Spanish minor. It was a good program. I felt like OU's academic requirements were fair. I'd say the education at times geared toward learning, and then later on there was some focus on getting a job.

I remember hearing the song "OU Sorority Girl" before going to OU and thinking that was how all OU girls were going to be. I also had heard that there were a lot of rich kids there.

Andrew

What's the best thing about OU? The food in town is amazing. We have the best restaurants in the state. Name one thing you'd change. The poor water drainage and the shitty roads. Is your school too large, too small, or just right? It's just fine. How do people react when you tell them you go to OU? Now that I live in NYC they are mostly like, "Oklahoma? weird." Where do you spend most of your time on campus? I didn't spend much time on campus. probably the rock climbing gym or the Journalism building. College town, or "what college town?" What kind of a question is this? college town? duh. What's your opinion of OU's administration? Oh it's fine. no complaints no major praises. Our president was a politician. He runs it like one. He has a nice little group of favorite students each year. Honestly I could care less. What was the biggest recent controversy on campus? Well when I was there it was the alcohol policy dry campus and all the bitching and moaning that went on during that whole debacle. A bunch of little babies cried about how they couldn't drink on campus anymore. Most of whom were underage and lived in the dorms anyway. The "strikes" policy was what got on everyone's nerves. Is there a lot of school pride? Does a bear shit in the woods? Is there anything unusual about OU? The weird secret society of Engineers. What's one experience you'll always remember? Anything that happened after 2 a.m. at the duck pond. What are the most frequent student complaints? Probably the roads.

What are your experiences with racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic, and/or other groups on campus? I don't recall any experiences. none apparently that were memorable. What kind of student would feel out of place at OU? No one. Oklahoman's are the nicest people in the world. Actual practicing terrorists would feel very out of place. What do most students wear to class? clothes. everything from dressy to pajamas. people do that in OK. they wear pajamas to class. i take comfort in that. Do different types of students interact? yes. There are four tables of students in the dining hall. Describe them. They are eating. they are freshmen. there are boys and girls. they are talking. oh oh they are eating again. Where are most OU students from? Texas, Oklahoma What financial backgrounds are most prevalent? Middle Class Are students politically aware / active? Yeah not really. I dunno if they are into that kind of thing Are they predominantly left, right or center? I’d say probably right. Or center. I dunno though the college is different than the state Do students talk about how much they'll earn one day? ??? what kind of a question is this?

Do professors know your name? The ones I wanted to know my name do. The ones i didn't care to get to know don't. Tell us about your favorite class. Least favorite? Purington's Intro to Ethics course. difficult class for lower division and he will hurt your weak little feelings if you don't have thick skin. loved it. least favorite: Feminist professor-Lower division Am. Literature class. I never made above a C on a paper and i'm a writing major. i feel like I got "hated" on because I have a penis. How often do students study? Well it depends? that's like asking me what students usually eat for breakfast how am I supposed to know that. people generally study based on their needs. Is class participation common? In classes where it's necessary for the "learning experience" or where it's required. not as much in classes before 1030 am though. Do OU students have intellectual conversations outside of class? yes. Are students competitive? some of them, they are mostly annoying. What's the most unique class you've taken? Photojournalism. it was fun. Tell us about your major / department Journalism/professional writing. we are one of like 10 schools that have this major. It's weird. it's Journalism with some extra bits about how to write fiction and market yourself and be successful. it's still ironing out kinks but it's a good major. fun so long as you like to write and don't mind crazy professors. Do you spend time with professors outside of class? How do you feel about OU 's academic requirements? Is the education at OU geared toward getting a job, or learning for its own sake?

Most of them are from Texas, most of them are in a fraternity/sorority, said members wear ugg boots and/or double-popped collar polos in florescent hues, we're obnoxious sports fans, we're good at football, we have a good art/music/creative scene, we're alcoholics,

What are the most popular groups/organizations/clubs/teams on campus? CAC, anything greek, Tell us about a group you’re involved with. the rock climbing club. we go rock climbing. Sooners and Seniors We visited old people Do students in dorms leave their doors open? i'm sure some do. i'm sure some don't. the ones that don't probably keep it shut because they are ugly. How popular are athletic events? Guest speakers? Theater? Very popular, less popular, not popular. We are truly full of high culture Tell us about the dating scene. there are girls and boys sometimes they get to getter and have teh sexualz. it's pretty much like anywhere. How did you meet your closest friends? Through climbing. If you’re awake at 2am on a Tuesday, what are you doing? drinking. making out. playing video games. never studying. What traditions/events happen each year? Big Event, some greek rally's of some kind like scandals or something U-sing? i dunno I didn't do that shit. How often do people party? people party often. How important are fraternities/sororities? I'd say on our campus they are more important than most religions. most people in the real world do not agree with this hierarchy. What did you do last weekend? drank, climbed, made out, played video games. good weekend. What can you do on a Saturday night that doesn’t involve drinking? huh? What do you do off campus? climbing, actually everything. campus is a place for learning only.

Matt

The best thing about OU is the strive to grow and suceed to become one of the best universities in the U.S. Every year we are receiving more and more donations to improve each of our schools and are currently building six new buildings on campus. I believe the growth makes OU more attractive. OU is a great sized campus for any individual. It provides a good atmosphere for incoming freshman and is highly recognized in that particular area. It has a very homely and small feel for a campus that is this big. When I always say I go to OU it is always a suprise. Many people ask why? I think OU is a great school on the way up and is starting to get highly recognized professors in many departments. Norman is a college town. During the summer, many people leave and it is a very small town. During school though the city is bustling and has a very good nightlife especially with Oklahoma City so close. Our administration is A class. We have David Boren a former 30 year senator that provide great opportunities and leadership for our campus. Our biggest controversy on campus is how to achieve a green friendly campus. We are try to lead the way in energy management and hope to set an example for universities worldwide. School pride is through the roof and we have tons of pride in our many sports teams and show it every way possible throughout Norman.

OU is a heavily caucasian campus with a high population of international students. Currently we have 3500 plus international students and it is growing. We are racially diverse for the region and also boast a native american body as well. Most students on campus are either low middle class or upper class in the socio-economic perspective. You can tell that their is some shifts in thinking depending on where people are from and their socio-economic status. No one would feel out of place at OU because it really does feel small. Many students wear typical college clothing depending on the weather. Their is a heavy fraternity/sorority interaction on campus and many letters are showing. Different types of students interact daily. OU is very diverse and creates a good melting pot of ideas and cultures. At one table would be fraternity men, at another sorority girls, at a third would be a bunch of friends, and another a bunch of people sitting alone. OU is a very politically active campus which is due to its' liberal society and because our president is very prominent and provides many opportunities for presidential speakers and such. Yes we are highly aware at the cost of our education and how much we will make as such with a degree from this university.

None of these stereotypes are accurate and they really demean a great campus. OU's campus has some of the most visually appealing buildings I have seen on a campus. They are architecturally great and provide everyone with a homely small university feel. We also have many amazing lanscape projects. The stereotype about the students and community is generally untrue. You do have some religious affiliations that are stronger than others, but it does not affect university life at all. Our staff does happen to be particurally liberal and are very open to their views through classrooms and outside of class. Norman is a town of 100,000 plus people and is very educated as a town and many people would not label the community as redneck if you came and visited.

Yes some do know my name. It is really up to the student to decide how interactive he wants to be with the professor. OU's professors are very liberal and like to get involved on campus. My favorite class happens to be Social Problems. It provides me with in depth knowledge of our society and its' problems and the professor is very open and outgoing on every subject. Students at OU are very studious. We have many places on campus to study at night and many of them are always packed with study groups and individual groups at all times of the year. I do have intellectual conversations outside of class and many times it is with a professor. We have a lot of interested and smart students who strive to always know a little bit more. It really depends on what college your in, but I would have to say OU is not as competitive in some colleges at all, but in Engineering and Business colleges it is amazingly competitive. My department is in business and it is very hard to get into and maintain the strict requirements. It is nationally recognized on many facets and in many majors and boasts a great resume for business oriented students looking for schools. OU's academic requirements were stiff, but not hard. It did require good grades and work in high school and no slouch can get into OU. Education at OU incorporates both. We are a research university and tend to learn a lot of new information as our professors teach it to us. We learn the needed information pertaining to the class, but we also gear towards getting a job. We have many services on campus for life after college.

OU has been known to have many stereotypes and some include the nature of the students. Some people think the OU community is either all religious, all liberal, and all hicks. Other stereotypes are that our campus is not as visually appealing.

The most popular would be Sooner Nation which support all of our sports teams and then you would have the Panhellenic Association which is comprised of most of the sororities and fraternities. I am involved in Phi Sigma Pi which is an honor fraternity with men and women and provides me with an opportunity to give back to OU and the community by service, scholarship, and leadership. Yes our dorms are very laid back and everyone on the hall pretty much has an open door policy. It is very fun in the OU dorms because of the way they are set up and it provides for a great social atmosphere. Athletic events are popular in most sports and attendence wains for the less popular sport like gymnastics, but we do have great programs that all attract national contender hopes. Guest speakers are numerous on our campus and provide great political advice and we have had great professor come and speak. Former presidents Bill Clinton, and George H.W. Bush have recently visited withing the past year about political issues inflicting our nation. We have also had the Hotel Rwanda guy who saved many people from genocide in Rwanda. We are a diverse public speaking university. My closest friend were met in the dorms or through people I met in the dorms. Because of the great social atmosphere it was easy to make great aquaintances. At 2am I would probably be studying for my Economics test or some sort of test coming up because tests here are no slouching matter. Every year we host big event, the big red rally for OU-TX game, and many other events such as Save Darfur day with boxed shacks to help raise awareness. Partying is probably the same as any other decent sized campuses. I would say it is generally the norm. Frats and Sororities are huge at OU. They pride themselves on everything and are a bit snobby and stuck up here. Some are great while others can't get over themselves. Saturday Nights their is tons of stuff to do. Their is OKC downtown which has an awesome movie theatre along with the waterfront. You can go to the Bricktown area and watch a baseball game as well.

Jacob

Administration is very good, and OU is on the up and up. With that said, OU has some significant hurdles to overcome. As a general rule, the quality of students is fairly low. The university has way too many "gimme-degrees." Football is huge, just don't say anything if the team loses. The best thing about OU is the price; it is cheap as hell and they love to give out scholarships....very segmented student body. Good number of National Merit/full ride students at top, with lots of people at the bottom, and seemingly, no one in between.

The student body is overwhelmingly white, conservative, and I have found, suprisingly racist. Seems to be a high rate of brand new luxury cars/SUVs around campus. Little interaction between different groups of students, but there is a group for everyone...OU is a large public school after all. Students are not very politically active.

If you are considering OU you are most likely from Texas or Oklahoma. If you are from Texas, why not get a degree from UT or A&M? Both are far superior academic institutions. If you are from Oklahoma and can't get out of state, OU is definitely better than OSU and a lot cheaper than Tulsa. If you are from elsewhere (and probably National Merit) dont take the bait. OU is what it is, an average state school with an exceptional football team.

Professors are generally nice, and with some research, you can usually land good classes with good professors. Students study very little overall. OU's academic requires very little from its students, starting with admissions. Economics department is decent, although I feel it is hindered by the business school/arts and sciences split, offering 2 different economics degrees. The business school is on a pedestal it really should not enjoy, but large donors see otherwise. Admission to the business school is easy for most, but very difficult for the bottom dwellers of the classes. Business school is the only school that wont allow enrollment from outside its ranks...real snobbery.

Greek scene is very big. Athletic events are huge, and there are a good number of quality quest speakers thanks to Boren. Thursday/Friday/Saturday is a big deal. Dont drink? Might look somewhere else...

University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.