Norman, OK
University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

Jacob

Administration is very good, and OU is on the up and up. With that said, OU has some significant hurdles to overcome. As a general rule, the quality of students is fairly low. The university has way too many "gimme-degrees." Football is huge, just don't say anything if the team loses. The best thing about OU is the price; it is cheap as hell and they love to give out scholarships....very segmented student body. Good number of National Merit/full ride students at top, with lots of people at the bottom, and seemingly, no one in between.

The student body is overwhelmingly white, conservative, and I have found, suprisingly racist. Seems to be a high rate of brand new luxury cars/SUVs around campus. Little interaction between different groups of students, but there is a group for everyone...OU is a large public school after all. Students are not very politically active.

If you are considering OU you are most likely from Texas or Oklahoma. If you are from Texas, why not get a degree from UT or A&M? Both are far superior academic institutions. If you are from Oklahoma and can't get out of state, OU is definitely better than OSU and a lot cheaper than Tulsa. If you are from elsewhere (and probably National Merit) dont take the bait. OU is what it is, an average state school with an exceptional football team.

Professors are generally nice, and with some research, you can usually land good classes with good professors. Students study very little overall. OU's academic requires very little from its students, starting with admissions. Economics department is decent, although I feel it is hindered by the business school/arts and sciences split, offering 2 different economics degrees. The business school is on a pedestal it really should not enjoy, but large donors see otherwise. Admission to the business school is easy for most, but very difficult for the bottom dwellers of the classes. Business school is the only school that wont allow enrollment from outside its ranks...real snobbery.

Greek scene is very big. Athletic events are huge, and there are a good number of quality quest speakers thanks to Boren. Thursday/Friday/Saturday is a big deal. Dont drink? Might look somewhere else...

amy

Best thing about OU is the deep tradition & the excellence that the university bestows on the value of education. One thing I would change is the parking, parking attendants are really anal. OU is just the right size. People don't react in a negative way when I tell them I am from OU, more in a neutral way. College town for sure, just right out of the big city, but not too far away to be too far. I love OU's administration, David Boren is the best college president in the nation!! Biggest controversy is iSwim, this program that was trying to build a new swimming complex where student parking is. It would have raised tuition and the student body was split half/half on the issue. Tons of school pride! Tradition is a huge thing here, especially among athletics. Nothing really unusual about this campus. I'll remember my time in Delta Delta Delta the most. Greek life is huge here & I really took alot away from it. Frequent student complaints are probably about studying.

My experience with those groups are very rare. I think that anyone could feel comfortable here. OU is a liberal university in a very conservative state so you get a great mix of people. Most students wear jeans & t-shirts. There are so many different types of people here. Of course there are probably more rich white kids than others. There would be the table of athletes, the table of greeks, table of multi-culturals, table of politicians. Most students are from Oklahoma or Texas. Probably upper middle class. I think most students try to stay politically active. We had 3 different presidential candidates come speak here. Predominantly right. I don't think they talk too much about it.

Not at all, I have really enjoyed going to school here and meeting new people. By no means do we ride horses. What is really great about OU is that you are permitted to have cars on campus no matter what your standing is.

Yes. Favorite class is taught by Rufus J. Fears and it's called Freedom In Rome or Freedom in Greece. Least favorite class is Gateway a freshman orientation class. People are always in the library. Yes class participation is a must because we are usually graded on it. I know my friends & I do. Slightly competitive. Unique class is probably Freedom in Rome. I am an art major specializing in Painting. Our art department is probably lacking in comparison to other universities, but they just hired this awesome guy from VCU, Tommy White who has awesome ideas. He makes you want to be a better student. Not really unless I see them around. At OU academics is number one. I would say that it is more geared toward getting a job.

Most popular groups are the sororities & fraternities, after that is CAC or Campus Activities Council which is in charge of all the campus activities throughout the year. I was a member of Delta Delta Delta, it was a sorority on campus with about 200 members. You go through recruitment in the fall. It's a great experience & a great ways to meet people & get connected on campus. I always left my door open. Athletics are so important. Football is a dynasty here. Guest speakers are pretty popular, I don't know too much about the theater. Dating well dating is a weird thing here. It seems that a lot of people get married right after college, so I guess dating is pretty important. I met my closest friends in Tri-Delta and through other friends. If I am awake at 2 am I am probably studying or finishing a project. Traditions are football games, the medieval fair, student art show. People out every thursday, friday and saturday on campus corner. Fraternities/Sororities are very important, but you don't have to be in one to get connected. last weekend I hung out with my friends & went to a local bar/pub. Saturday night there is plenty going on at the Union & you can always count on your friends to think of something fun. I camp, go to the city, shop, movies, normal stuff.

Some stereotypes about OU students is that we are all snobs. We ride on horses because we are in Oklahoma.

Alex

The best thing about OU is Saturday's in the Fall. OU's size is great, people in Oklahoma think it's great when I say I go to OU. I spend most of my time in the education building on campus. For a football game there is an insane amount of school pride.

Most of them are not true however there are a few that are dead on.

My professor's all know my name. My favorite class was African Drumming and my least favorite class is any science class. Some students study more than you could imagine and some don't. Usually the people that don't study make poor grades. There's only around 20 people with the same major as me so we spend a lot of time with our professor's.

There are so many stereotypes at OU it's hard to tell them all.

Greek life is a big part of OU and football is a pretty big deal here.

University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.