Detroit, MI
Wayne State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wayne State University

Theresa

Wayne State University is best known for its medical school and location near the Detroit Medical Center.

To recent high school graduates, those atteding college for the first time and their parents I would recommend taking time to think and weigh out all your options before choosing a school to attend. Researching the programs each school has to offer is important, you want to find the school that offers a strong program that holds your interest. Looking at the cost of tuition as well as how often that school raises its tuition costs is also very important. College is very very expensive and you need to be sure taht you get the best value for your money. I believe new college applicants also need to consider their own study habits before applying for schools. If you know that you need silence to study, living in the dorms may not be the best choice for you. If you know you need to have access to the library and other students to get the best value out of your time at school than dorm life maybe for you. Above all your own happiness and satisfaction need to be top considerations in your decision on the right college.

I believe the worst thing about Wayne State University is the continually rising tuition. In the past 3 years I have attended Wayne State tuition has risen nearly 20%.

Joanna

It is diverse and inexpensive. It is easily acessable for commuters.

It is diverse and inexpensive. It is easily acessable for commuters.

Start early. By the beginning of the sophmore year, start thinking about what you want to study. If you can, spend some time shadowing someone in this field. If possible, acquire a related part-time job or volunteering position. Take the required standarized tests early: often students take them more than once to improve their scores. Before the beginning of your junior year, do an indepth search for colleges or universities. Consider the following and decide what three are most important: cost, prestige, location, campus life, acessability for special needs students, job placement rate, acceptance of A.P./ college credit transfers, and avaibility of programs. Visit the schools meeting your criteria and apply to the ones that have "passed the test". Apply for any available scholarships, public or private. Scholarship packages can be a deal breaker for a school. In the end, the student should be the one to pick where they will further their education and spend several years of their life.

It can be disorganized concerning administration and paperwork.

Ayat

Try to pick the college that offers your intended field of studies, not the one that looks good for your reputation. College is about being successful in what you love doing most, enjoying your time, and being yourself, so make good use of your time there and make friends they might last you a life time.

Everything in the school is fun, its really hard to fand anything negative about it .

Getting to class on time might cuase a little frustarating, but other then that its all easy going.

Alyssa

I've been to a lot of campuses, and attended the University of Michigan - Dearborn, but Wayne State University is the epitome of the underdog. The schooling there is comparable or better than almost every school in Michigan. If I gave ANY schools the advantage in comparison, I'd say State of UMAA. It's the nicest, most upbeat, most progressive, most down-to-earth campus I've ever attended. (UM - Dearborn, in contrast, was filled with unhelpful bureaucrats who ALWAYS messed up financial aid and credits and people that thought they were better than everyone else.)

Visit campuses, make sure you know what classes transfer if you have an inkling of leaving the school you're in. And if your school gives you trouble, you're just not comfortable there, or you're sure things won't get better- LEAVE. There is no shame in finding a better fit for you. College is about experiencing new things. Don't just doggedly approach your major. Take fun things like art classes, tennis, dance, creative writing-- explore who you are! This may be your only chance to. Also: books? Make sure when you get your book lists to try to buy them online. You can get them for an extreme amount less sometimes. I got a $100 USED political science book on Amazon.com for $15.00 and shipping. This isn't the only time I've done that either. Make sure to check out the school's testing policies. You can get out of TONS of basic requirements with such tests as APs, CLEPs, and IBs. And finally, make sure to visit government websites, as well as regular scholarship websites, to find need-based scholarships.

I wish I had known more about financial aid programs available (I had to do a lot of research online, especially the State of Michigan website) and I also wish I had known about the vast testing policies the campus has. I was able to use my APs and CLEP scores to test out of almost a year of schooling, which was great since only 4 credits transferred from other schools.

Sadiyah

Wayne State is a nice school, very culturally diverse and easily accessible to grocery stores, bus lines, etc.

When planning for college its never too early to start. The longer you put off researching and applying the more you lessen your chances of getting good dorm and financial aid situations. It doen't hurt to stay in touch with colleges, go for a visit, establish a relationship with an admissions representative or advisor. Once you've made your decision, first plan for financing your education gather W-2s and other tax related documents, they will be needed to do the FAFSA, which determines the amount of government AID you're eligible to recieve; then prepare everything you need for school: immunizations records, dorm essentials etc. Finally communicate every one should stay on the same page, parents, student, advisor etc.

Michelle

After graduating high school, I didn't want to go to college. After a few years, I realized I needed a change in my life. I turned in my application, was accepted, and before I knew it, I was living on campus. Making the decision to go to college was the best decision I've ever made. For those still in high school, the best advice I could give you is to do your absolute best. Take extra time to study for tests. If you're having trouble, have a family member/friend/tutor help you out. To the parents: support your child through their education. Encourage them to do their best. It will help them be more prepared for college, which is a huge step in their lives. Winning this scholarship would be a huge help. I have loans that I will be paying for a long time. I also work very hard at my job, but it's still not enough. On top of tutution, there are books, supplies, rent, and other every day expenses. This money would allow me to ease some of the stress in my life, and not have to constantly worry about money.

You should attend this school if you are looking for a university that has a great location (very close to the downtown area), diverse group of people, nice campus, access to free student services (tutoring, advising, etc.), and a great variety of classes.

I've had some bad experiences trying to get things settled with the loans I took out to pay for school. They didn't properly communicate with the loan companies to get everything settled in time. Also, I've heard bad things about the finiancial aid department.

Dante

Finding the right college for yourself is not exactly an easy task. It should be well analyzed and thought out. Personally, I did not put too much effort into determining where I wanted to attend school; which I believe was not smart on my behalf. Luckily, I did end up at a good university that I am learning at and still able to enjoy myself. For those considering universities, they should become familiar with the city; what goes on around the campus, crime, social life, etc. This individual should also consider how strong the school is in their planned area of study. If you are planning on majoring in the business field, why would you be attending a university that is strong in the medical field? Take good time to get to know the college that interests you. After all, it will be a place that you will be spending a lot of time at, why not make it worthwhile?

I believe the most frustrating thing about my school would be, dealing with advisors/faculty. I have gone to visit with advisors on the walk-in appointment days and it seems as if I was bothering them. I was very discouraged from the way that they spoke to me. At times, they can make you feel as if you don't deserve to be enrolled in the university.

The worst thing about the school would probably be the fact that it is still viewed as a commuter school by many. So, when there are events and activities going on at the campus, there aren't as many people as there could be if more people lived on campus.

Kimberly

I would advice parents to search as many scholarship sites as possible. Tour several colleges before making a decision. Please make sure your child remembers to stay focused, work hard and make the most of it. This can be done , it won't be easy but well worth it. Please, please do not take a break. I graduated from high school in 1988, started college the "took a break" and 20 years later realized without a degree I have nothing. Now the cost of finishing up is extremely expensive and the work load is much, much harder especially when you work full time at a high stressed job, have 2 children and attend school full time. It's a rough, expensive lesson that I hacd to learn.

The school is great. Lots of support from positive people.

patricia

Law and Medical graduates

Law and Medical graduates

Talk to each other and keep your options open. If finances allow try to get involved on campus as much as possible. If you have to work while your in school set a study schedule to stay on top of your work. Don't be afraid to talk your parents if you are having trouble.

distance between classes, buildings, not enough parking

Matthew

Don't make the chioce based on the name of the school. Look into the teachers, the students, the administration. Just because the name is not well known around the world does not mean you can not get a world class education.

Someone without the ability to open their minds to different views, and cultures.

Wayne State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.